1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

interested in some hideaways and have a couple questions.

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by pwrjnky, Nov 17, 2009.

1. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I have a 2003 silverado and was thinking of putting a set in the back up lights and up front in either the daytime running lamp or in the blinker. Where is the best place up front to get the least bouceback from the plow? The blinker? Maybe I should just do the rear? any input is appreciated before I place my order. I was just going to buy a 4 strobe, 60 or 90 kit.

2. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

and if it makes a difference with the bounceback. My truck has a 4" lift so the DRL's are a little above the plow when it's lowered. Will a hideaway fit in the orange side marker spot up front next to the blinker?

3. overtime

overtime Senior Member

i would put some fog lights in the grille i am doing that with mine. i have done that for another guy he loves it same as the back put 2 in back under bumper. not 100% hidden

4. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

fog lights??? bumper??? you know I was talking about strobes right??

5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Front high beams facing away from the center of the truck and the rear back-up lights.

What kit you looking at??

6. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I'm now looking at the 6 strobe kit from sirennet for 189.00. 4 strobes in back (back up light and brake light) then thinking of the other 2 up front. You're saying install them from the side of the high beam, facing out? How annoying is the flash up front? will I be seeing spots? It looks like I'd be able to have separate switches for the front and back though...so I wouldn't HAVE to have the fronts on if I didn't want to. Their kit has 3 switches. I'm assuming one switch would work for the front, one switch would work for the rear and the third would switch between flashing options???

7. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I know your talking about strobes ill try to post pictures of what I installed. Its blue fog light with white lights. And my truck found nice white fog light with amber strobe looks good in day and night. Just use the lenses and bracket. Our napa sells just the lense and bracket.

8. 02DURAMAX

Correct! facing out..I'll get a pic of how I did it.

Its better to have a switch for front and back!

that way you can have the front off when you dont want them!

About patterns you dont need it just find a pattern you like and your set!

9. 02DURAMAX

What brand is the kit?

make sure you get a good brand Like whelen...Cause the cheap brands suck!!!

Also Get a 90watt!!

10. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

Go with whelen and nothing else, they will last and their warranty is the best out their.

11. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

the kit at sirennet is a whelen. There is another kit at strobes n more that I'm looking at, but not sure if it's whelen or not.

12. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

the one at strobes n more is a pro series 606. I think they make it. I really like the upgrade switch option on theirs and the kit is a little cheaper.

13. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Go with the whelen 6 head 90 watt system. It is a great setup and bright as can be.

14. XtremeV8

XtremeV8 Junior Member

Yea. If you get a 60 watt, you'll kick yourself.

15. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

the 90 watts with 6 strobes puts out 15 watts per bulb and the 60 watt with 4 strobes puts out 15 watts per bulb.....I don't see a difference:dizzy:

16. Burkartsplow

if you use only four of the sockets you will be putting out 22 watts per bulb and if you want to add a set after later on you will be back at 15 watts.

17. overtime

overtime Senior Member

So if your useung. 60 watt system and 4 strobes its the same as a 90 watt with 4 strobes

18. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

no....60-4 is 15 watts. 90/6 is 15 watts. where did 22 watts come from? I think I just want to do a 4 bulb system for now. 1 set in front and one in the rear.

19. Burkartsplow

The 60 watt puts out 24.5 jules per light and the 90 watt puts out 36 jules per light.

20. XtremeV8

XtremeV8 Junior Member

You're right. But you're also wrong. Yes, it is possible. There's two different types of power supplies, regulated and not regulated.

IF the power supply is regulated it will be 15 watts

IF the power supply is not regulated then it will be 22.5 watts