1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Interested in getting into the business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Intrinzik, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Intrinzik

Intrinzik Junior Member
    from WA

I am really interested in getting into the snow plow business and so of course I have a few questions.

Since I was young I've always wanted to drive a snow plow. I don't know why, besides the fact that I like snow and the Winter season.

One of my main questions is which partition to go into. I would really like to work for a state run snow plow industy, such as we have here with the WSDOT. They basically plow the mountain passes all winter long, and occasionally the low lands here but we do not get much snow. Or should I go into the private sector, plowing residential and commercial accounts and not highways, roads, etc.

Roughly how much do the two pay (I know the private sector is HIGHLY variable, but a rough estimate would be good)?

Additionally, what is required to become a snow plow driver at the state or city levels?

I really want to do this and have more questions for later, depending on which part of the industry I decide to go into.

For clarification, I am not against moving if it means that I will increase my profit.

Thanks in advance for all of the help.
  2. Ford_7.3_meyer

Ford_7.3_meyer Junior Member

Hi Intrinzik! Welcome:salute:where do you live in WA? I'm in Ellensburg. I would like to work for WSDOT I think it would be aw-some wesport Think of being on I-90 for three days with no cars just moven snow:nod:
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Best bet would be to go to the local DOT office and see what the require. That may influence your future choices. Read alot of the info on here about getting started.