1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Interessting concept

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pabaker66, Feb 10, 2012.

1. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

2. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

Only the government would think spending $1200.00 for a new product that replaces the old product costing $800.00 is a good deal. I've been around hydraulic fluid my entire life and I've never seen 50-60 gallons of fluid spill of of a broken hose, cylinder, etc.
  3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

DEP doesnt investigate unless its over 5 gallons anyway. Rediculous...
  4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok I concede the proper thing to do is call DEP but honestly, how many of you guys have called them when you have broken a hydraulic line? I never have but then again when we break them we always shut the machine down to avoid losing the oil in the first place. The whole "green" idea is silly anyways. I don't have a problem with being environmentally friendly but no way in hell am I spending any more money than I have to to keep things up and running. IMO, vegetable oil was made for cooking not for running the hydraulics in an excavator or a dump truck or whatever. my equipment was deigned to run on hydraulic oil and that is what I intend on using. Besides I would think by replacing your oil with some vegetable oil you run the chance of voiding whatever warranties are applicable.
  5. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Being that I'm from this area, I am not surprised our gov't officials would spend 7 grand to clean up a hydro line spill. Pretty typical with our current "leadership"
  6. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

this is what we ran in the lawn mowers at the golf course in case of leak it would not kill the grass
  7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

thats a great idea..
    I used to work at a golf course. I can still hear it "everyone get to the #5 green NOW! we have a hydro leak! bring the clean up kit and a garden hose!!!!!":help:
  8. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I would have to think they looked into this.

If you think about it they changed four trucks, costing them $1600 more than your standard hydro oil. The last hydro leak of 2 to 3 gallons cost 7 grand to clean up, not a bad investment if you think about it. I have never seen that kind of leak either, but I have experienced a slow hydro leak, that when we noticed it and fixed it we had to add 28 gallons of hydro oil. It may have spread over many miles but it was still 28 gallons. If you think about how many pieces of equipment out there are losing small amounts of hydro oil, it must add up to thousands of gallons a day. I remember once reading about how much gas is spilled at the pumps in the US alone and it was over 30,000 gallons a day.

Being green is silly and yet you have no problem being environmentally friendly interesting your words not mine. Would you still be saying the same thing if this vegetable oil was 20% cheaper than your hydro oil, and the manufacturers warrenty accepted it?
    We have looked into it, and we have not implemented it because it would void our tractors warranties. But if it were accepted, I would definitely being doing it. Even if it cost 50% more, imagine how good you would feel when you did have a leak, knowing it would have no effect on the environment at all. That has to be worth something.

This is a perfect example how it may have cost them more to change to vegetable oil, but are saving money in the long run on costly hydro leak repairs. I am not a tree hugger, I just wanted to point out that we all have to do our part. Most times it does cost more, but before axing the idea, maybe you should see what it would really cost, sometimes you would be very surprised and its a small price to pay to help the environment.