1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

interchanging fenders by years

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blzn74, Apr 7, 2002.

1. blzn74

blzn74 Member

Its about time to put new fenders on my blazer, I was wondering if the 81-87 fenders would be a direct bolt on, or if I have to swap everything, (hood, cowl, radiator support) If anyone has done this let me know.

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I've gone the other way - used my '75 front clip on an '81 cab - but to do what you're thinking I believe the following will be required:

First off, the entire front clip that you mention - rad support, hood, cowl etc.

Second, because the hood hinges are different it will be necessary to cut a slot in the cowl area of your '74 cab to accomodate them. The picture shows the cowl area on the '81 cab I am using for my K-35 project. Also note that the hood hinges bolt to the cab, not the fender. What isn't visible (because I have already welded them up) are the holes for the cowl piece to attach to the cab.

The wiper drive is also a little different - everything more or less bolts up the same but the wiper studs are longer on the 81 - 87 version. Naturally, the bolt holes aren't an exact match but you can make the wiper drive assembly work - in this thread is a bit more info on that, although again it deals with using the newer cab on the older style truck:

If you do want the newer front end on your Blazer, I would suggest getting a complete donor truck for the front clip and using it as a pattern to make the required modifcations to your Blazer body.

I have seen this done - a tow truck that got some frame work done in the welding shop recently had a '70's cab with mid - '80's front end. Now, they had done somewhat of a "butcher job" with the installation but it is possible.

So it's not an impossible task, just a bit of detailed work required. Good luck with the swap!

k-35 cab right front cowl detail.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2002