1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

interchangeable truck parts?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JMHConstruction, Feb 6, 2016.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone know of a website that will show what parts are interchangeable and what years, etc. My muffler for my 99 dodge 1500 quad cab long box has started to rust out. I'm getting ready to make a trip to the junk yard to see if they have a good one. Just needing to know what all will work with my truck.
    Does it matter with short bed/long bed, engine size, or are all exhausts pretty much interchangeable as long as the pipes are the same size?

2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

The pipes must be of the same size, and the same length, else you will need to shorten or lengthen pipe (called a pipe stretcher). Heavy trucks have mufflers that side exhaust as well as rear.

A muffler is not that expensive. Why not just by a new one???

3. JMHConstruction

I have to look for a few other parts for the wife's G6 too (she thought she should take out her mirror and finder on a post she parks next to) and also looking going up with a buddy to help him get a tranny and driveshaft. Figure while I'm there I might as well pull off what I need for my truck. They're only $10 used, so it's not like I'm waisting money if it only gets me a few years or less.Thumbs Up

4. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Hollander wrote the interchange manuals junk yards used for years. I would assume they've gone digital and may be online.

6. JMHConstruction

Pick n pull bought out all the junk yards out here. I didn't see anything on their website, I'll look again though. I have to go either way, if its not online I can always ask when I get there.

7. JMHConstruction

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A used muffler is fine, but you're going to
    want a new set of bearings for it.

9. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

And check the blinker fluid.Thumbs Up

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

And plastic straps to hold it up too.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

12. JMHConstruction

:laughing: I have been looking for hours on where to put the blinker fluid! Maybe just pour it directly into the engine? GV, love the pic! Thumbs Up :laughing::laughing::laughing:

13. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Hey what about exhaust manifold races and don't forget a can of tire rotation

14. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Try car-part.com. It does an interchange on the parts you want. Searchable on region(s) as well. http://www.car-part.com/