1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Interchangeability of Meyer+Western Pumps?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cwlo1448, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Cwlo1448

Cwlo1448 Junior Member
    from Chicago

Does anyone know if Meyer and Western pumps can be interchanged. I imagine the electric controls are different, but will a Meyer pump mount on a Western plow and vice versa?

thanks,

Chris

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

As far as being able to operate one brand of plow with a different make pump, yes it can be done - I use a Monarch pump for my Western blade. Lift arm hooks up to the blade with a chain, power angle cylinders use standard hydraulic hose/fittings.

Attaching a different make pump to your headgear may require some fabricating however - without actually seeing how different the two pumps are I can't offer any more specific info.

Just wondering the reason for making the switch - I went to the Monarch because I like the under-hood installation.

3. Cwlo1448

Cwlo1448 Junior Member
    from Chicago

How does Monarch work?

Rob,

I was curious about pump interchangeability for an emergency situation.

I am interested in your Monarch pump retrofit. Since you mounted it under hood, I'm guessing you have 3 hydraulic quick connects for each of the angling/lift cylinders? Have you been happy with its performance and reliability?

Thanks,

Chris

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Good thinking on "being prepared" in case of a pump failure. Do you have one of each pump now? If so, perhaps one of them could be used as a bargaining chip towards a spare pump of the brand you wish to keep.

No complaints about the Monarch unit. Bought it used 2 seasons ago, just had the pump overhauled (output pressure was a little low due to wear) and reinstalled it a couple weeks ago.

I leave my lift cylinder on all the time, so no quick connector needed there. One for each angle cylinder, male end on one/female on the other so there's no way to mix 'em up. I also have those little rubber caps to keep debris out of the truck fittings when the plow is off.

5. Cwlo1448

Cwlo1448 Junior Member
    from Chicago

Thanks Rob,

I was wondering about interchangeability from an upgrade point of view, since the Western plow I have has the old cable operated pump. The plow is a modified hybrid, in that it has the newer uni-mount hardware. However, the uni-mount isn't that much of an advantage without a solenoid operated pump!

Chris