1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intensifiers w/ Silverstar Bulbs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nhpatriot, Jan 7, 2009.

1. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

To any of you guys looking for a better light setup, consider the Fisher/Western Intensifier lights. Even if your headgear does not have the right mounts, a quick cut and paint on some angle iron with two holes drilled in it will help you mount them up right quick. I bought the Sylvania Silverstar H13 bulbs for them, and then angled the lights up a little higher than the stock lights on my truck. Those bulbs can handle the extra distance. After years of the old Fisher lights, leaning over my steering wheel to see the 20 feet illuminated in front of me, this is a revolution. WAY better than even my trucks headlights. $206 at my local shop for the lights, and $20/ea. at Autozone for the Silverstar bulbs.

2. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Got any pics of your new lights. Thanks for the info.

James

3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

May be i should try changing the bulb in my new intensifer light that i just bought, Because i don't think they are any better or briter then the old light... I'm GLAD i didn't buy them because i would have returned them by now....

4. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

I will get some pics up soon.
    The stock bulbs are not that impressive. And the one issue with the Silverstars is their life expectancy. Pretty short. I put the stock bulbs in the Silverstar packages and kept them in the truck in case one goes out. They make a Xtralife bulb that is slightly (5% or something) less bright than the Silverstar with way better life expectancy that might be worth a shot. However, I figure screw it. We are out in the worst of the worst weather, and making a ton of money. Who cares about 40 bucks in lights when fuel costs what it does, a cutting edge that I'll blow right through costs me $125, umpteen hundred truck washes, and on and on. Seeing really well is worth every penny. Consider it an investment in not using your already expensive liability coverage.

5. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Maybe i'll try those bulbs out, before i remove these lights....lol

6. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

well, i bought thoes H13 bulbs for $19.99 ea i guess i'll see if their any better tonight, 4-6 their calling for here.

7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Intensifiers, huh?

Thanks, nhpatriot. The old Boss needs some new lights.

8. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

vmj, what's the report? I have been delighted with them over these last couple storms.

9. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I guess their better... I just thought they would be a lot brighter... I guess it must just be me getting OLD because the kid riding around with me said he see's the dif...

10. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

hah hah, maybe the money would be better spent on glasses. Make the kid drive for you, and stay home by a woodstove! I hope one day I will just be able to manage my drivers in between naps...

11. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

LOL some day!

12. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I put the new Ultra Silverstars or whatever the hell they are, in my boss lights, made a pretty big difference.