1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

intensifiers suck!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by durafish, Sep 29, 2012.

1. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

I have had these lights on the plow since new last year the plastic clips broke on the lens so i taped it just for the season. Now i go to fix and the whole lens is falling off. i take the back cover off and a chuck of plastic breaks. Is it just me or are they junk i'm thinking bout going old school with HIDs?:mad:

2. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Never had a single problem with them
    have them on both my trucks and local DOT has them installed on the headgear of their dump trucks they use to plow.

Did you take them off in the cold? Because plastic tends to do that.

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I've never had a problem either, much better as far as lighting than old style.

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i have had a few sets do that to me but i love them i have not had a problem in a couple of yrs now

5. durafish

from 02919

it was like 60 out so i don't think it would break. they look great and are super bright but for the $$$$$ they should be real good quality. maybe they got better as the years went on because i got it when they first came out? kinda like the pump cover and lift arm..

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Newer 3 screws are better, Lots of issues with the 2 screw lights.

7. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

As Brad said those first generation intensefires had a plastic clip system on one side and two screws on the other side of the back cover and that clip side would not take a hit very well, the second generation lights came out with the two screws on one side and instead of the clip a single screw on the other side of the back cover. I agree that the two screw lights are glorified junk that are nothing but an a$$ ache, the 3 screw versions are virtually problem free however, I have both types on plows and have to keep a healthy band of black electrical tape around the housing and lens on the two screw models to make sure they don't come apart during use.

8. durafish

from 02919

I figured that because they wouldn't keep building junk. Does anyone know where I could find the numbers to tell me how old the plow is.

9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the s/n should be on a sticker on the power unit. can you post what it says?

10. durafish

from 02919

K thanks when I get home ill check and post.

11. durafish

from 02919

ok so i think i have the number got it on the tag off of the pump. see if this sounds correct: 051007100006221551?????

12. brad96z28

its a 2005 those did not come with intensafires

13. durafish

from 02919

Yea I don't know the head gear doesn't have adapters for the lights its all stock??? What could it be.

14. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hmm ok, yes that power unit was built in 2005. the other thing that tells me is it wasn't part of a complete plow. the number at the end is the part number (21551-1). that is the power unit only for a straight plow. If it was originally part of a power unit kit, with the cylinders and hoses and stuff in it, it would have 98402 at the end.

and Brad is right, as far as I can tell the new style lights starting in 2006. april 2006 is when I made the new parts record for the 28800. so does '06 sound correct for when you bought the plow?
    I suppose the dealer could have swapped the power unit out at the time of installation for some reason. perhaps they found something wrong with the original one from the kit, and took a 21551-1 off the shelf to replace it, and the one on the shelf had been there since 2005. they could have even got the power unit from Fisher in 2006, because it wasn't built until October (hence the 2nd two digits)

15. durafish

from 02919

I don't know I bought thew plow with a truck sold the truck with my old plow and kept the new one. It must be a 2006 because of the lights. For an 05 its in good shape compared to others but I also power wash after each storm and a couple times a month.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  16. brad96z28

05 headgears had the holes for intensafires but did not come with them.

17. durafish

from 02919

Oh then it could be an 05 and the kid put the lights on after.

18. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

could be newer than 06 too. since the power unit was changed out.
    when did you buy the plow and the truck?

19. brad96z28

Also check the vin on the back of the plow blade. I have seen the vary from the pump as much as a year or 2 from the pump Sometimes the dealers play with old stock they have.

20. durafish

from 02919

I just redid the back of the blade and took the stickers off.... well i bought it in 08-09 and it was in like new condition still no cutting edge and yellow paint on the trip edge.