1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intensifier Upgrades?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by FisherVMan, Feb 11, 2011.

1. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Here is a picture of our lights upgraded with a set of 100W halogens that are 3K temperture that enhance contrast in heavy snow storms and whiteout conditions can you see a differance? :confused:One is factory one is the upgrade.
  2. fx4plowin

fx4plowin Member

I like! i was not aware of the upgrade, il have to look into this
  3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I think you took that the wrong way....but I may be mistaken. It's HIS upgrade, not an OEM change.
  4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Very Nice Fisher V, the Right / Passenger is your upgrade if I'm not mistaken. What brand did you end up with?
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Drivers side is the lower temp bulb
  6. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Of course you are both right................... these are the 100W 3000K bulbs and I really have NOT had a good enough chance to evaluate them properly so wont say much yet except they are noticably different. I drove down the Baskahegan Lake Rd where its compleatly dark the other nite and was watching the edge of the banks that has around an inch of new snow on them and I am guessing they do certainly enhance contrast better than the factory bulbs but will need to wait until we get a good storm and I am out in it for a while before I can say much ......................... "on coming traffic" will most certainly see them farther away I believe; As the color seams to stand out very different; than clear bulbs; so I am guessing in white out conditions; there would be a certain % of a higher saftey factor throw in; just because they stand out differently . I will try to give a unbias report on them after I have had some experence with them but for now cant really comment much ..................... thanks for looking!
  7. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well after using them thru a couple of storms now I can say a few things about these bulbs.......... first of all I have noticed that there is a noticeable amount of contrast enhancement with this bulb over the factory bulbs. Also there is a slight intensity difference but certainly NOT double as the wattage difference would apply . Would I recommend them . Yes I would however I did notice that for some unknown reason I experience the exact same thing with the blueish bulbs I run in the regular headlights and that is that right at the edge of darkness for that 5 mins they both seam to be WORSE than a normal white colored bulb ?????
  8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Vman- double check your wiring after a few storms on your plow lights. I used to sell headlights on ebay to guys looking to upgrade the lights on their motorcycles and a few wrote back saying the increased wattage caused the wiring to melt. Probably will not happen in your case but figured id toss it out there.

If you want a real light output upgrade then switch over to HIDs.
  9. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I have HIDs in the high beams on both vehicles. I will be getting some for the lows soon. I have really debated putting some in the plow. But, I usually don't go to far at night with the plow on and it would cost a little more to get the composite lenses. Not that it would be hard, just too much of a pain for what little I have the plow on the truck.
  10. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Wires are looking compleatly normal after having them on constantly for 4 hrs the last storm so I think I am ok on that part. The HO alternator is without a doubt one of the best things I ever added to the truck that makes a HUGE difference in the way the plow works and none of my lights ever get into that dimming act anymore. I think the voltage regulator in the HO alt has slight surge in it as when I hit the switch on the plow and it needs to push a huge amount of amperage into the battery for a split sec the heater motor "revs" up alittle over revs and it snaps the plow around so fast it will really bang it hard against the stops over the little 130amper that I had on there!