1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intake manifold gasket or head gasket

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dfor, Nov 20, 2003.

1. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a 98 GMC K-2500. 5.7 350 with 104,000 miles. It is losing radiator fluid. White smoke and drips of water come out the tailpipe at an idle. Just changed the oil this morning and no water at the bottom of the pan. What is the easiest way to tell which gasket is bad. Thanks.
  2. chevy

chevy Member

No water in the oil is a good sign! A bad head gasket most of the time give you rock hard radiator hose as soon as you start the engine. Next as you said having white exhaust smoke coming out the tail pipe. With these symtoms its best to do a head gasket before you end up with a milk shake in the oil pan. Bad news is better than worst news. Also with a bad head gasket and water leaking into the combustion chamber you might be experencing a plug or two running rough. In any case its a job I wouldn't put off for to long. Its getting cold outside. Good luck.:)

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

have you had it pressure tested
    find alot of new gms with leaking intake maniflod gaskets
  4. Dan S.

Dan S. Member

Have you tried a compression test ? that might narrow it down between the intake or head gasket.
  5. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

IIRC, either way you will be changing the intake gasket.
    From there it "shouldn't" be a lot more to pull the heads and change the gaskets too. You will already be just about there anyways.
    At that point, I think I might do it just to know they are new!