1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Intake Gasket Install

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SawHoss, Sep 9, 2009.

1. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

I am going to be replacing the intake gasket on my 2000 2500 with the 6.0 V8. I was wondering if there is anything I should look out for, or any tips anyone can give on how to make the install quicker/easier. Any input would be much appreciated.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They're a piece of cake and the only two specialty tools you need are an in lbs torque wrench and a fuel line disconnect tool to perform the job.

No need need to even drain the coolant out, just plug the coolant crossover hoses when you remove them from the throttle body. Entire job should take under 2 hrs; even for your first time.

One thing I would highly recommend doing while the intake is removed though is to replace both knock sensors below it and check the wiring and connector plugs (for them) for any corrosion. Will save you from doing it later when they give you problems.

3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Put a bead of rtv around the knock sensors leaving the rear open to prevent water from getting to the sensor

4. Greenwalt

Greenwalt Member

I love working on Gen III + motors. They are so easy (in my view) to work on.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Couldn't agree more with that statement. From a repair standpoint I'd work on a Gen lll over a Gen ll any day. A dry intake design, no cork or paper gaskets to scrape, simple modular design and cam changes without the need to remove the intake.

And for years we thought the Gen ll's were easy. :drinkup: