1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance ?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by LawnProLandscapes, Dec 13, 2009.

1. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i plow for a local plow dealer with his truck and was talking to him the other day about contracts he lost this year and about insurance etc. and during the conversation he said that it cost him about $2,000 per account for general liability insurance which confused me. i havent run on my own but always have been under the impression that one policy could cover all of your accounts? i got a quote last year for myself before i signed on with him and it a was $2000 for the year to cover me with a $1 mill. cap ... just wondering what you guys do and i know he goes through local insurance co.s and am just wondering if they are raking him over the coals?

2. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Well it is tough. It could average him that much if he was a large operation. There is one total premium and that is it. It could be that after he gets auditing or puts his amount of exposure (usually payroll or sales) that is what it averages out to be.

Or he could operate each operation under a different name in the background and cover each job under individual insurance policies, at that case it could be that average. You would have to ask him how it is set up before you could determine what is going on, sounds like to me, just with this little info though, that it might be an on average, again I have no idea about anything else. Find out more information and I could probably let you know, PM me though, I do nto think it would be right talking about this on an open thread if it is not your set up and you wanted to know more in depth
  3. kj330

kj330 Member

I pay 730.00 / year. For the following, 2 mil coverage, 2 trucks (insurance). all equipment (fire,flood,theft damage, etc). I am a full srvice landscape and Home Improvement Co. We mow lawns, and perform every type of landscape type work (except Fert and irrigation). Build additions on homes garages, install windows, siding, and doors, and custom tile work.I have one full time employee. if that helps....idk
  4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

he's not a huge operation, on average we use to have enough work to keep 2 trucks busy for about 8 hours on an average 3-5" snowfall. . . both trucks are his and those are the one listed on policy one is a 2009 f-350 chass cab an the other is 2004 f-350 chass cab. the accounts arent really large either were in a small town and large seasonal is probably 12-15 thousand for season for plowing and sanding with snow removal extra per approval of property manager.
  5. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

9% of payroll...above average coverage
  6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah usually its 3-5% payroll or billable sales for snow
  7. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

You would have to look at all his policies then, somewhere there is a miss communication something like that