1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurance

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by andy bengtson, Oct 27, 2002.

1. andy bengtson

andy bengtson Junior Member

What does everyone do about insurance? I plan on doing a driveway or two and sub. What amounts and what kind of insurance would I need. I already have full coverage for 2002 chev pick up

Do I need like a buisness insurance?

I did spend time in the search area .

2. plucnik

plucnik Junior Member
    from Chicago

I'm going through the same thing. The advice that I've been getting is to get $1,000,000 general liability and get commercial insurance on your vehicle. The insurance agents that I've contacted tell me that business insurance will not cover snow plowing. I have a Jeep Wrangler (worth around $8000) and I'm getting bids from different insurance companies. For instance, one bid is $775 for the general liability and around $1200 for the commercial insurance for 6 months. I'm hoping to get some lower bids.

3. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

American Faimly Ins= 1 mil Gen liability- $350 yr
    State Farm = 1 mil truck - $1200yr

4. andy bengtson

Will my normal insurance take care of this or do I neeed something special? I do have an umprella policy.

5. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

My fathers truck insurance covered all snow plow operations for years.... but understand the risks. When I took over the accounts I purchaced a 1 mil general liability policy. This covers all of the things the truck doesnt touch. (like SLIP AND FALL:realmad: :eek: )

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2002
  6. andy bengtson

Let me get this right as being a sub contractor and working for a company who holds the contract for the lot. I am at fault if anyone slips and falls.

7. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I currently have General Liability Insurance for my business, but I don't have commerical vehicle insurance on my truck. The people I am going to sub for only require General Liability, what are my risks of not having commercial vehicle insurance?

8. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I may be wrong, but the way I understood it was the Comm Auto covered things actually done by the truck. For instance, if you slide on ice and hit a garage door / parked car etc. This will need to be covered by your comm auto. If you only have personal auto, they may give you a hard time since you were using the truck in a business fashion. I always believed the GL to cover the items, such as slip and fall, where the truck was not involved in the incident.

Ceaman - are those annual or 6 month prices ?

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well If your gonna be just a sub i would think that you would not need to go with the 1 mill. policy because your truck insurance should cover it if you have commercial ins. policy.But if you plan on doing both subbing and plowing your own stuff I would recomend that 1 mill . general liabilty policy.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

andy bengtson, yes you will be named in a lawsuit if you are involved in any way (and possibly even if you're not). The lawyer will advise his/her client to go after the owner of the place, the lease holder, the plower who has the contract and the plower who actually did the work.

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Brians, you would probably be an uninsured motorist if you had an accident with the plow on. Regular vehicle insurance does not cover while engaged in any activity for which you are paid.

12. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

I don't know about where you are but in NJ you have to have comm auto if you use your "truck for hire" meaning even if you use it to deliver pizza on a friday night your personal auto doesn't cover you, futhermore if you do plow with a personal policy it would not cover you if somebody stole your plow, pump, lights, etc due` to the fact its's not a "factory installed item" Plus even if you had a fender bender as did a friend of mine who had a K5 blazer and decided to plow for a little extra cash stopped in a parking lot and got rear-ended when he submit the claim and the adjuster came out and saw the plow on the truck the company not only rejected the claim but cancelled his policy Immedeiately and he had his company for 10 years.

13. andy bengtson

As you all know that the plow rates are different for different areas so in insurance. My wife is a claims ajuster for am fam insurance she doesn't even know. This is one of those different things that you might need to get a rider on your policy. You might need to change your personal auto insurance to a business insurance. One last thing if you lives in one state and and someone tells you something from another state. The laws might be different where you would be covered in the first state but not the other.

14. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Annual....

Check with your persona insurance carrier.... Mine covers the truck for plowing.

15. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

My insurance for my truck is $412 a year, 99 Ford F350, I was told by my agent that I could only get commercial insurance on the truck, the company rates the one ton as commercial. My GL insurance is $316 per year, for 1 mil coverage. Farm Bureau is the company.

John

16. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I remember reading a post on here a while ago. It said that if you had the plow on and the truck got hit that you could just say you were transporting it. Meaning from one of your properties to another which you wouldnt need insurance for. I know everyone tries to cover their asses but what about if your going out and plowing a couple neighbors drives for cash whos gonna check all your neighbors and ask if they paid you??
    Just a thought
    Eric

17. plucnik

plucnik Junior Member
    from Chicago

Andy - I just received a real good quote on insurance from American Family Insurance. They are quoting $350 for one mil general liability and $488 for commercial auto on my 1997 Jeep Wrangler for an entire year. If there's an agent in your area, I would try to give him a call.
    Peter

18. andy bengtson

I just found out the the plow is covered for liability insurance. You need to get comp and col insurance if you want the plow to be covered if your in a car crash. American Family