1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by combiking, Oct 3, 2008.

1. combiking

combiking Junior Member

Ive been reading the threads about insurance. I understand i need a commercial policy for my truck which what i have. I was wondering if i needed any other type of insurance or should the truck policy cover it? the truck policy is fully comprehensive.

Thanks for the help.
  2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

As long as it states in writing that plowing is covered, you should be ok. What limits do you have, at a bare minimum you need $1 million but preferably 3 million would be best.
  3. combiking

combiking Junior Member

Im covered for a million and it states for plowing. I told them i was putting a plow and salter on the truck.

Thanks for the info
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think what he mean is any other insurance(General Liability )
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Your insurance carrier will tell you what you need.
  6. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

We are dealing with progressive here not very plow friendly!:(:(
  7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Go to www.farmfamily.com They mainly serve contractors and have great rates even for plowing. 3mil is IMO is a little overkill, 2mil per year 1 per occurrence should be fine for most people. 1 mil on the car insurance should be ok too. I also carry an extra 1 mil umbrella policy just incase.
  8. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

That is true Hydro_37.... to a degree, You must remain sharp with insurance providers, you too are in business to make dollars; shop ahead of time.
  9. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I'm not sure about your province but in Ontario the liability coverage on your truck will cover you if you hit something while plowing but you will need a Contractors policy to cover you against "slip and fall" type claims.