1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurance

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by smurf76, Sep 30, 2008.

1. smurf76

smurf76 Junior Member

ok guys who do you have your insurance thrugh and how much does it cost... my new contract for sheetz requires it.

reply or email
    firewoodguy1@comcast.net

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

My commercial INS is through Auto Owners.
    As for rates they very a lot with age, tickets, level of coverage, vehicle-s, how much money you make etc etc

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

the insurance just for my 1 truck not including liability or usages is roughly 1700 a year commercial. again that doesnt include liability or the usage(landscaping/snowplow) and i have it through commerce insurance

4. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

4 trucks $3 million each @ $1550 through progressive (snow plowing & wood hauling commercial) oh, 50 mile radius

5. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

I pay 3K per year through Commerce, that's for both my trucks, and my business' general liability insurance.

6. ColliganLands

im looking around 2500ish with the liability and all the other fun stuff

7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

That seems kinda pricey for one vehicle. Try www.farmfamily.com
    Good rates, great service.

8. ColliganLands

yea i thought the same thing but my aunt is my insurance agent so ill most likely stay with her

9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

1550 for all for trucks?

thats a lot cheaper than progressive quoted me for two trucks. what is your deductibles?
    i always get jewed....:cry:

10. tom_mccauley

$1000 but i'm only covered in a 50 mile radius outside of that I'm Screwed

11. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Do you go more then 50 miles to plow? I would loose money if I plowed past 50 miles with gas prices. I go about 20 at the most and that's because I run into Lake Erie at that point.:rolleyes:

12. tom_mccauley

No, that is just a stipulation of my ins. I can only drive my truck w/i a 50 mile radius of my place of business anything over 50 miles and i have no coverage.(great way to keep me from driving my trucks and save some $ on my rates). My cars are also insured through progressive, just not on a commercial policy. I guess they figure if you are closer to home, you will be less likely to get BACKED into by some jack a$$ in a lot who is too old to have a damn licence anyways!!!!!! (Don't make much sense to me because most accidents occur w/i 10 miles of your home)

13. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Damn, that is a odd policy.

99% of the time I am within 50 miles of home but a few times a year I am out of state, or out of town at the least. That would not work well for me.

14. tom_mccauley

Works ok for me, I usually only plow with in 15 miles of home and no out of state, plus i do not drive my trucks unless I'm Plowin'! they are too damn expensive to drive as daily drivers!!!!

15. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

when they were going to write mine they wanted to put the car on the policy too. so that would have meant i couldnt even take the car over fifty miles away. what would they expect me to do walk?

i dont think fifty miles would work for me and separate policies would probably cost even more. i see why you do it though.

16. tom_mccauley

they tried to do the same thing with me and my cars!!! wanted them all on commercial policy!
    Not bieng able to travel over 50 miles! I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!!!

17. smurf76

smurf76 Junior Member

I called progressive last night... same story a little over 1000 for 1 truck and under 50 miles for 500 k in coverage. I had to mvoe my truck from state farm to progressive for the standard truck insurance.
    100 deductiable

they are to fax me paperwork to look over.
    2001 F250 SD
    V10
    Myers 8'

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  18. tom_mccauley

"same story a little over 1000 for 1 truck and under 50 miles for 500 k in coverage.

I would consider at least 1 million coverage 500 will rack up PDQ! with 1 accident