1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Daddy Wags, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Daddy Wags

Daddy Wags Member

What kind of insurance is needed for plowing residential drives? Is the std. auto insurance good enough? What is plowing insurance? Does the same apply to plowing commercial lots? Any input would be appreciated.
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Std auto does not cover snow plowing. You will have to get commercial auto insurance. I carry 100k/300k/100k commercial auto and 2 million dollar general liabilty coverage for landscaping and snowplowing. Talk to your current insurance agent, as most insurance co's write commerical auto and general liability
  3. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I agree with Tom normal auto ins will not cover snow plowing. I carry 1 million in coverage on the truck alone and the same on my construction company.
  4. Daddy Wags

Daddy Wags Member

I assume the 1 Mil. is GL? If so, what does that cover? Also, what is commercial auto?
  5. MNBOY

MNBOY Junior Member

My insurance agent just told me that I may need to put the title in my company name and not in my personal name for the commercial insurance. The only problem is that the loan I have is a personal auto loan for 5%. They won't do commercial auto loans. So does anyone think I can get by with keeping it in my personal name but getting commercial auto insurance? I just sent an email to my agent asking him this.
  6. cobraman

cobraman Member

I just got off the phone with my Insurance Company. All I plan on doing is plowing some residential driveways and the truck is registered in my name. I could not buy commercial insurance for that reason as well. I was up front with the Insurance Co. and they are going to cover me under my current policy for the plowing. I just have to call them when I start plowing for the season and when I stop and they are going to cover me on my current policy with no premium increase.
  7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

you better get somthing in writing cobra cuz when if you have to call to make a claim they will say.... wait you were talking about plowing snow, we dont cover that. just warning ya.
  8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

My truck is in my name, and I have it insured commercial. It does cost a lil more, but it works
  9. MNBOY

MNBOY Junior Member

Just got the OK from my agent to keep the truck in my name and now I have the commercial policy. Plowed all last season without it on the truck as he didn't think I needed it. Glad he checked into it. Better late than never. The funny thing is that I used to be a property adjuster for a major insurance co. I don't know anything about auto adjusting but I got into plenty or arguements with agents over coverage issues when they told their clients one thing and the policy actually stated something else. Don't get caught with your pants down. Happy plowing folks.
  10. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

i was told your regular auto insurance covers plowing if your vehicle/plow hits the structure. if its the snow you are pushing that does the damage then it is not covered. that was said by a Farmer's Insurance Agent to me. he's not my agent but i work in the same building as he does and it just came up in conversation.
  11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

One more time - Regular auto insurance ( correctly called "personal use insurance") will not cover your vehicle while plowing snow on other than your own property and sometimes not then. Read through some of the old, related threads.

"But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night".
  12. Daddy Wags

Daddy Wags Member

I spoke to my State Farm Agent this afternoon to have her get me pricing on Commercial Auto and $1M of GL. This seems like the coverage most are using. She sounded a little dumbfounded when I asked for pricing. She also told me that fertilization for landscaping wouldn't be covered. She is going to check into it.
  13. Daddy Wags

Daddy Wags Member

I spoke with my insurance agent today and they quoted me a Landscaping Policy/Snow Plowing Policy, which includes $1M GL.
  14. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

What sorta price are you lookin at?
  15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

good. there is no reason to risk it. if you are going to pay for insurance you might as well have coverage you need. ive noticed that my commercial insurance is actually cheaper than regular auto anyway