1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by farmboy4, Dec 11, 2001.

1. farmboy4

farmboy4 Junior Member

I do a limited amount of snow removal using my fourwheeler. Where i live we get around 1-3 feet of snow a year. I recently talked to my town about snow removal on some downtown sidewalks. This town has a population of 3500 so were talking about around 11 blocks. I am not really sure what to charge, but an even bigger problem is getting insurance. I have never plowed the sidewalks before but i think it will take about an hour to do with almost no scooping. No one wants to insure an 18 year old kid, on a fourwheeler, plowing for a city.
    Although how it looks now i won't need to worry about it. I am thinking about taking my blade off my fourwheeler and putting a squegee on.
  2. MJ

MJ Senior Member

First, I would caution you to not even touch a plow to a city sidewalk unless you're properly insured - commercial vehicle and general liability. Same would hold true for a squegee.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would also have a clear agreement (contract) with the city. Usually this is handled by the town themselves but in a small town I could see them subbing out. Be sure you are insurred as well as being able to finish the job. What happens if your atv breaks down? Better have a plan because I doubt the city would want to go without shoveled walks.

What do they do now for handling snow removal on walks?