1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance ???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Sharpshooter77, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

O.k every one I have a question for you guys. I have a 1985 F-250 with an 8 foot fisher plow. And I want to know if I only get residental insurance for plowing my drive-way right and say I have to run to the store or something and I left the plow on and hit some thing or some one on the way to the store would I still be covered. Just thought I would ask you guys before my insurance company puts me on hold for 2 hours :gunsfiring: :realmad: . THANKS for the INFO.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Check with your insurance agent. I would be covered under regular vehicle insurance for trips to the gas station and for plowing property which I own and my homeowner insurance would cover "slip and fall" claims - including rental units. I've heard from other guys in other state where they would not be covered for plowing rental units as these are considered commercial units.
  3. chironorm

chironorm Junior Member

I haven been under the assumption that you would be covered if you plowed your driveway at you house, but whenever you start doing something that makes you money then it's not covered. You are making money on those rental properties, so if you hit a car or wreck your truck while plowing them it wouldn't be covered by your auto insurance. Those rental properties are a business. The same holds true if you owned a gas station, let's say. If you bust up a car at the gas station then you're not going to be covered by your regular truck insurance. However, just using it to plow your driveway at home would be covered. I might be wrong but that is how I've understood it. Now, if you plow your neighbor'd driveway for free and do some damage it would not be covered either, only your place. I guess that you could just say it was for "free" but you were taking cash- but you get the point. If you were just driving to the store I think you would be fine- just don't drop the blade for that little old lady:nono:
  4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

the way my insurance works is if the plow is on the ground im not covered.

im just assumeing that's how most if not all insurance companys work.

best thing to do is call your insurance agent and ask... find out for sure what is and is not covered.
  5. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I have been trying for a month to get a insurance quote for plowing, nobody returns my calls.
    And the one company that does takes my calls keeps telling me tommorow or next week.
    what is wrong with these people?
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not all insurance companies offer commercial liability insurance. Those who do are often picky about who they will insure. Agents with specific companies know whether their companies offer this insurance or not but not neccessarily whether they will write you a policy. Independent agents can offer insurance through several companies (aka: Underwriter), but they need to contact each individual company to determine if they will insure you, specifically, and how much each company will charge so as to get you the "best" rate (although, as we all know, the lowest is not usually the best). If you have any kind of blemish on your record, be prepared to be declined insurance coverage. A "blemish" may not even be related to your driving or record of claims. The reason the agent is not getting back with you may be due to the company being reluctant to write a policy. The agent may be answering questions or objections the Underwriter has.
  7. nekos

nekos Senior Member

try American Family Insurance . i got them threw the place i work for < snow systems > and i only pay $380 a year for 1million liability.
  8. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I have general liabilty under my LLC lawn and tree service, but the plowing I want to have seperate insurance for as I want to keep it completely apart from my LLC at this time.
    I think they just want to write it together.
  9. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

I have mine with ERIE Insurance co
    I have my snow removal and lawn service with them and my workmen comp too