1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurance

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bounty21061, Oct 13, 2005.

1. bounty21061

bounty21061 Member

what type of insurance do i need to plow is it like car insurance or something else i called state farm and they don't know what i need so what good are they all they want is money

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

1. Commercial Vehicle Insurance - covers you while in the act of plowing. Basically this is like car insurance only for commercial vehicles - which is any motor vehicle involved in an act for which you recieve compensation.

2. General Liability Insurance - covers you for what's called "Completed Operations" like if somebody slips on an area which you plowed. You want to have snowplowing specified on the policy. It will also list what types of accounts are covered - Residential, Commercial, Industrial and/or municipal.

Fact - State Farm Insurance has been featured in Reader's Digest for problems associated with paying claims.

Some people here have claimed State Farm agents have said they are covered on their regular vehicle insurance policy for plowing snow. I would suggest getting that in writing from the Underwriter.

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

you need commercial vehicle liability and general liability

4. bounty21061

bounty21061 Member

does that cover property damages i have to sumit a bid and they want me to have liability and property damage coverage

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

your commercial auto coverage should cover property, but the bigger issue right now is if you don't have it yet, put a move on. It took me 6 weeks to find someone who would actually write a policy for commercial snow plowing and keep it under $5,000 --but thats NY for you. PITA for insurance.

6. greenpastureslc

greenpastureslc Junior Member

Is that per year out of your pocket? I live Upstate and something like that would be good to know.

Also what would the price difference be between that and just doing residential?

7. Mick

from Maine

Yes, per year. And out of your pocket. Most companies won't write a policy for only part of a year. If you try cancelling during the offseason, they likely won't write you again. As far as the price difference between plowing commercial properties and "just residential", there may be difference but usually fairly slight. With mine, which is considered residential, the company has notified me that I can have a limited number of commercial accounts.

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Please Email me at: info@greenmountainlandscape.bizland.com and I'll be happy to share details:waving:

The difference was about $2500 for a commercial policy, but the real savings came when I had my truck covered by the same company. Another company quoted me $10,000 for plowing only if my commercial plowing $$$ was 50% of my total revenue.

9. LuffTruckingLLC

LuffTruckingLLC Junior Member

insurance State Farm

I also have state farm for personal auto insurance. I told them what I had. An 8' western and my silverado. I asked them if I needed a commerical policy for plowing and salting. There answer was NO. You dont need a commerical policy if your not using the truck 51% of the time for commerical useage. The policy states that if you add anything to your truck its automaticly covered and if it does any physical damage. They told me that its a truck. They just expect somebody to use a truck for that type of use during the winter. They made a suggestion that I might want to up my liability limits to say 350k-500k. Just to be on the safe side while plowing. I thought that was pretty good considering they know that your out making money . But thats if your only using your truck less than 51% of the year for commerical use. So I would say call a couple more State Farm agents and see if they are willing to do some investigative work for you. After all they are working for you. You pay them every month. Hope this helps all of you state farmers. Let it snow

10. bounty21061

bounty21061 Member

i'm still waiting for them 2 get back to me my agent doesn't do commerical and they don't seem to know who does i wanted to get the general lib for plowing like i need for the contract but its up in the air right know another company told me they can write it but they want 1500.00 for a 6 month policy i'll see what happens

11. LuffTruckingLLC

State farm just told me to raise my liability limits and it will be fine. My agent sell commerical and tried to write it for underwriter review and they turned it down because I didnt need it. Just a higher liability limit.

12. bounty21061

bounty21061 Member

will that still cover slip and fall and stuff like that

13. LuffTruckingLLC

My agent told me that in ohio. dont know where you live but he said that in no way shape or form would that hold up in court that it was the salter or plowers fault that someone fell. Its an act of nature that freezes. Say you plow a black top lot. it starts to melt and then it get real cold and freezes. its not our fault that it froze. So he told me that I would not be liable. So take it for what its worth. Hope it helps you some. Its damn frustrating:confused:

14. jhemmerl

jhemmerl Junior Member

may I ask who your agent is? I'm looking to plow a couple of driveways this winter.

Thanks.

Jon

15. Mick

from Maine

Your insurance agent is a lawyer?