1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RYDER, Sep 24, 2005.

1. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

New to biz, do I need any other ins besides laiability for plowing park lots? I live in thr Grand Ripids, MI
  2. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

If you are going to do alot of commercial work you might want to carry at least a one million limit on your policy, and look into a baloon policy as well. People are sue crazy these days. :cry:
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You will need two types of insurance - Commercial Vehicle which covers your truck (your regular type vehicle insurance will not cover plowing unless specifically indicated on the policy) and General Liability which specfies snowplowing as a covered activity. While a balloon policy is often a good idea, I'd discuss it with your insurance agent first, to decide if it's for you. Remember that parking lots may seem rather simple, but there is a lot of exposure to potential for liability.
  4. Snow-B-Gone

Snow-B-Gone Junior Member
    from Maine

I've been plowing here in Maine for 11 years (part-time). Afew years ago I went with commercial insurance. The next year my agent called at renewal and said if I had no more than 10 accounts I would be covered on my regular policy.

After finding this site a couple of weeks ago, I stopped in again and confessed I had between 16-18 with one commercial. He said that unless the commercial account asked for proof of a certain amount of $$$ insurance my policy would cover me.

I've bumped a building and dented my truck a couple of times........but haven't involved my insurance company. I've had to reset a mailbox post and take the dents out of a vinyl siding corner myself.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There's still no provision for liability in case of injury not involving the truck, though.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2005