1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by joepetrilli, Dec 28, 2011.

1. joepetrilli

joepetrilli Member
    from NJ

What a pain! I have been trying to acquire a policy so I can plow streets for the town. What a pain! I have GE for my Landscaping Bus. and they don't want anything to do with Snow Plowing. I have waited weeks for people to get back to me with quotes only to say we cant do it. Two said they can do it for $1650 but that's without the 1 million Umbrella the city wants. The one finally got back to me to say the umbrella would cost a additional $2700! WTF. I just invested in a new truck and plow for $50,000.00 and Plow Ins.going to cost close to $4500 and what if doesn't snow! I Hate this state Please if any one knows a good Ins. Company let me know I have been waiting for another quote and now the girls on vac and no one else there seems to know what she was doing or not.

2. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

As I mentioned in another thread, it is your state that is causing you problems. My guess is that you could go to 10 different agents for quotes and the price will come back high no matter what. There are only a few CO's left that do business in NJ, so there are limted places to go for pricing.

Just another FYI, working for any municipality (No matter what state you live in!) is going to cost big $$$. Out of the 30 CO's I work with in PA, only 5 will even consider it! Out of those 5, 3 of them will not give coverage for any state owned roadway. They will cover cities and townships but no PADOT stuff. The liability exposures involved with someone plowing any public roadway are horrible. Good luck in your search.:dizzy:

3. joepetrilli

joepetrilli Member
    from NJ

Thanks! What a hassle!

4. billyyy42

billyyy42 Junior Member

$2700 for Insurance

Joe, I'm an insurance guy in NY. I have to imagine that the rates between the 2 states are similar. If you're getting real trip & fall protection........Take it. In NY I quote $3500 minimum all day. That's what it goes for. Imagine this. You plow out a department store. Some knucklehead in his car loses control on some residual ice ( You can't get it all, Don't even try ) He hits 4 people walking out of the store and crashes into the building at the same time. Who do you think the first guy to be sued will be? What do you think a jury will award in a case like that?...................See why it's so much. By the way, this actually happened 2 years ago in Syracuse.
    Good luck though