1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Plow More, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

I just did some searching and wasnt able to come up with a whole lot for insurance to cover our a$$es while plowing. Unless I missed a grand thread somewhere I figure we might as well spill our guts and go from there. I dont know much about what I need or what its going to cost me, I am looking for a plow on my super duty and a motor grader for plowing HOA's and probably some parking lots and businesses. This will be my first year plowing on this scale or with a truck or grader so take it easy on me. :eek:
  2. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Theres alot of threads on this topic but you'll need
    1. Commercial Auto Insurance
    2. General Liability
    3. Workers Comp Insurance
    4. State Licensing

Depends on your state
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Call a insurance broker and not a single insurance company.The broker will be able to shop around for you.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Are you already in business? do you already have commercial insurance. If so talk to you agent about adding it to your existing policy.
  5. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Member
    from FL

The problem I am having is getting a quote before going into business.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why? Should only take a couple of days to get a quote.
  7. EPM

EPM Member

How are you submitting proposals with out the slightest clue as to what your insurance rate will be? Rather difficult to calculate your hourly rate with a chunk of your operating cost missing... I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just saying.
  8. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Tell your agent you want to change to a commercial policy for plowing and get new plates. They'll be glad to calculate the costs. Dont forget separate general liability and umbrella policy for those contracts.
  9. EPM

EPM Member

Wow, I appoligise. I some how miss read your post eirlier. I thought you were submitting proposals before checking on a policy. My bad.
    That said, a good insurence agent should be able to fudge some things like your EIN # and such to provide you with a quote so you will atleast have a ball park. Explain your situation to them. Most, now a days will bend over backward for your business.
    Welcome to the snow bizz.