1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurance

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by mjones, Nov 16, 2010.

1. mjones

mjones Junior Member
    from indy

i have been plowing snow for 15 years and my agent has always said i was covered under my contractors policy until i mentioned i might be plowing a private school with a contract then they quickly changed their tune any suggestions?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've found schools are not included with residential nor commercial policies. That said, in your case I'd get anything said about being covered for plowing under your contractor's policy IN WRITING. The agent isn't who will decide if a claim gets paid. If it's not in writing, it didn't happen.

3. mjones

mjones Junior Member
    from indy

spoke to my agent they told me not to use my contractors policy to use my regular vehicle insurance, and as long as the plow is hooked to truck then i am covered

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The key is that's what they TOLD you. Is it in WRITING somewhere in the policy?

5. LB1234

LB1234 Member

be careful, be careful, and did I mention....BE CAREFUL!!

Yes, a residential or personal auto policy will cover a plow on your truck or SUV. It usually covers your personal residence AND the transport of the plow on the vehicle. Key word there is transport...not use. Read the fine print, the minute it leaves your residence and starts plowing another residence, business, etc. they will not cover it. Lets say you slide down a driveway and crash through the garage door...you are NOT covered. Not to mention that if someone slips and falls they have every right to go after YOU personally cause you were using your personal auto.