1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurance

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gtmustang00, Sep 9, 2010.

1. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I'm looking to put a blade on my f350 and plow residential, possibly one or two commercial lots. Anybody do something similar to me? What are you guys paying for insurance to do just what i described? Essentially plowing for myself to make a little bit of money. I have 5 years of plowing with another company and am just looking at my options.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'd figure out exactly what you're going to do and call your ins co. Plow insurance on a truck is cheap........like $15-20 a month. BUT doing your own lots may be a different story. I use my contractors insurance for plowing......but I'm a business. You'll have to find out what these potential commercial lots require of you. I have a few that have never asked for proof of insurance, and most require a copy of my certificate annually. Licensing in towns is the same way. Most around here don't enforce having a business license to operate in their town just for plowing, but many are cracking down. Then you'll need a county bond, town license, contractors insurance, and most of the time workers comp.....even if you have no employees.

As for just vehicle plowing insurance to cover you hitting a car, no biggie. Covering your ass on your own commercial accounts......different story. One slip and fall in a grocery store parking lot could cost you your livelyhood.

And don't get me wrong, I know you're not trying to go for the big time and do this for a living, but.................................

3. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Just my $1,000,000 in plowing insurance cost me $300 a year in plowing but I also have coverage for lawn care and vehicle and equipment insurance. To insure two trucks two trailers, plows, mowers, and a $1,000,000 a year runs me $3000.

4. gtmustang00

from Berlin

What companies are you guys using?

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I use State Farm

6. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil Member

1,000,000 in general liability for me is about 750 a year. i do both plowing and landscaping though!

7. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I use EMC all they do is business insurance. I went through an insurance agent who priced a bunch of companies for me.

8. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Last year mine ended up $870.... Kinda weird how it works, I pay a base fee of $350 In March of the year. The year runs March 1 To Feb 29. After the year is over They send me an audit form to fill out. I have to list Number of full time employees, number of part time employees and months they worked, and any subs that I used. They review the forms and then asses an aditional amount. Last year it was $520. I was pretty pissed the first time I got audited and then another bill for the past year because my agent failed to mention the audit process. Anyone else's work like that?

9. lawninc

lawninc Junior Member

What ever you do, buy a $1,000,000 Policy. Each of my trucks will cost around $1200 per year. That is 12 month coverage. This is only for primary drivers. Oh, if you own a biz this is in addition to you Corporate policy.

10. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I pay almost nothing for my GL, $350 a year for $2.m and Commercial Auto insurance is $1800 a year.

Your rates will vary by state / region , driving record and age. I know the guys in the NY area get raped by insurance costs, I have heard $4k to $5 K a year ! My are Chicago, It's not to bad.

11. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

$788/yr here for 1 million general liability. One truck, 2 drivers.

12. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Hopfully you can say you do landscaping and not just snow plowing. Other wise its way more

13. studebaker48

studebaker48 Member

what ever you do dont use progressive commercial they DO NOT PAY CLAIMS! i had a truck and a plow stolen been with progressive for a few years had a new western poly 8.6 contractor plow they gave me 1,589.00 for it bc they called the dealer and said ow much does the plow increase the value. And i had ful replacement.

14. RM&M

RM&M Member
    from ERIE

I just bought my first policy 1st of september. i waited forever because i saw to many scary posts about it on here and other sites saying it was really expensive. well i finally bought it this month to get into commercial plowing this winter and i got a 2 million dollar policy for landscaping and snowplowing. the landscape was 800.25 a year and it was 130.00 to add snow and ice removal. so its a no brainer. well worth the peace of mind. But im not sure where you are at and it might be diff. for diff. areas. could be more expensive where your at. as far as workers comp i wish someone had a good answer on that because i asked my agent and he said bc i live in new york and am a sole proprieter that there is no requirment to have it. at least in new york anyways

15. RM&M

RM&M Member
    from ERIE

oh yea and the company i go through is called dryden mutual ins.

16. gtmustang00

from Berlin

I'm not doing commercial lots, just residential driveways.

17. RM&M

RM&M Member
    from ERIE

do you do landscaping in the summer?

18. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Not for myself, just starting out on my own for plowing.

19. RM&M

RM&M Member
    from ERIE

well i would imagine that it couldnt be more than a couple hundred bucks. mine was only 130 but that was adding it to a landscape policy. i imagine it might be a little more if your only getting a snow and ice package because they want more for less if you know what i mean. i hate insurance companies...lol
    but like i said it might be more expensive where you live cause i have come to learn that sub snowplowers are worth 35-40 an hour where i live and about 100miles in any direction their worth at least 60 and on up. so costs of things....ie:insurance will probably be more too! also talk to a insurance agent that deals with alot a companies because they can find you the best rate for what you are doing. also they have access to companies that deal especially in what you need....plowing....landscaping....construction which i noticed was more affordable than dealing with bigger companies like progressive or state farm or whoever.
    when you narrow it down to companies that specialize in what your looking for you tend to get better rates

look into dryden mutual im not sure where thier out of or if they insure in your area but if i only had plowing through them it would probably only be like 150-200 a year for a good policy

also you need to talk to a agent as to if you need it at all. if you do plowing you need to inform your auto ins. company so that if you hit something they dont drop you. because while your plowing any sort of damage caused by you or your equipment to property falls under your auto policy and if you dont have a comm auto policy they will probably pay for it and drop you like a bad habit. a GL policy covers your A^% if someone slips and falls on something you plowed and gets hurt. so if you have a agreement that you are not responsible for someone getting hurt or are not offering salting you might not need it. your best bet is to go and sit down with a local agent and ask them and tell them EXACTLY what you are planning on doing and they can advise you best from there as to what your needs really are and what you need to cover your a$%