1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurance woo's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dilligafdog, Sep 10, 2007.

1. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

i just about dropped over dead when i got a insurance quote of $5000 for general liability and commercial policy. is this in the park or not. i hope not. the policy is 1 million 2 million aggregate and 1 million commercial policy on the truck :eek: :cry: :dizzy:

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

You need to get some more quotes. I pay a little more than $150 a month for auto ins (2 trucks) and a general libality policy for 2 million.

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

$1800 for 2 trucks (must just be liability) and 2 mil GL thats cheap !
    Who is your carrier ?

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

dilligafdog, do you have any insurance claims on your record? There must be something driving your rate up. What other commercial type work do you do?

5. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

no claim's no tickets just strictly snow plowing, i asked if this would cover my dozer, but she said i would need another policy for that. i like how may g^% d@# policies do i need.:confused:

6. T-MAN

You need one policy, and then add to it. Most are landscapers, Im in construction.
    The dozer will cost you dearly as well, excavating policys are not cheap.You may get away with something for grading only (if that is what you do). If you dig any holes/trenchs or do land clearing you will pay. If you own an excavater you will pay. Just like snow though you have to pass on the cost of doing business to the customer.

7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

so you have bundled in one quote the insurance to cover your commercial truck AND general business insurance? I didnt realize they would do that. Anyway, last year for my 91 f150 and 06 F350 was $2200/$2450 for a total of $4650. ouch, and that was just commercial truck insurance, doesnt cover plowing.

My insurance in NJ for the business is $1600 per, for 1mil coverage, all around, and that only covers the 06 f350 for plowing.

This year i changed companies so now my truck insurance for both is now $2,750 and biz insurance is $1,600 still with the same old company. Id say its not "bad" but depends on teh area. NJ flat out sucks.

8. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey T-man, I just switched Insurance companies to Westfield, and saved 1300 a year!!! No kidding, insurance is for full coverage on 2 trucks and 2 million general liability. Driving record is spotless. I had 2 policies with different companies, so I asked a friend (indapendent agent) of mine to see if we could combine them. I gave him a copy of my old policy and said I wanted the same thing, he bumped it up to 2 million and still saved me $1300. payup

You guys have me worried now, so I am going to call him this morning and make sure this is all I need.

Bossman

9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

You guys should all check out farm family......we switched everything over to them and realized a huge savings......

10. T-MAN

Big thing is I need "A" rated Carriers for some of my contracts.

Bossman I would look into what your paying for.
    My 05 ram is 1200 a year full coverage. The Gmc is 500 for liablility only. Commercial of course.
    My GL 1 mill is 1200+400 more for the snow add on. GL is also based on your comp (comp is Hartford, about 18K a year) it used to be 700. My 1 mil umbrella is 650.
    Auto Owners is my carrier.

11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

our roofing GL is $10k for $300k coverage and WC is $20k. our vehicals and fire policy on our shop is about $9k. apx $39k per year and only have 2 employees. we don't even have a policy for snow plowing or salting. all i have to say is the snowplowing insurance sounds very reasonable compared to the construction industry.

12. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

yea according to that it does sound cheap. but is insurance company is raping youpayup . wc i can understand why thats so high, but 9,000 for fire come on and 10,000 for gl. i have a 30 * 110 building which 50' of it is shop, heated tools, etc... and i only pay 1500. that's why i was shell shocked.:dizzy:

13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

yeah that would be high $$$. the $9k includes 11 commercial vehicals, shop and contents.

14. T-MAN

Insurance rates vary by state as well. Workers Comp for roofing is the highest that I know of. Some states are way cheaper then others, its all based on the Claims made in each state.If I worked and operated in Wi my comp rates would be 5-7% lower. That is huge at the end of the year ! But we work in IL so you can sue everyone and get multi million dollar settlements if you fall of your own roof !
    I posted in another " Insurance thread", if you find Unbelievable low rates from a carrier its usually to good to be true. My findings (10 plus years of business) is they are all within a couple percent at the end of the day, apples to apples. Were you will find value is when "YOU NEED" insurance to go to bat for you, or need a settlement paid. Just like homeowners insurance, some will pay what you need to get up and rolling again (in a timely matter) and some will deny the claim or take forever to send a check.Also some "A" rated carriers want you rfirst born for collateral, and a video tape showing everything you own short of naked pictures of your wife. This is for there use, not to cover your ass ! I honestly believe some carriers policy is to deny a claim if at all possible (hence video tape of everything). Some are easy to work with, and some flat out suck. I have one claim in 10 years for one truck that was hit in a parking lot.I faxed the Body shop quote to there adjuster and Auto Owners had a check in my mail box in 2 days. thats service in my book.

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Trust this - "cheap" insurance isn't worth it. I've read too many horror stories to even shop around. I work with an agent who handles all my insurance policies and I'd rather pay 10% to 20% more and know they'll be there when I need it instead of trying to beat me out of it. I've made it very clear what I expect and as much business as I throw her way, I get good service. As far as Jay's GL being high - that is all that kept me from offering snow removal from roofs. I had also looked into doing some tree cutting at the same time. The insurance agent explained it as "The rates go up as the feet leave the ground". I also found rates go up the further you dig below ground, too. That's why I stuck with "lawn maintenance" as the "off season activity" from snowplowing.

16. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

Insurance

Try Erie Insurance!!!! They are in NY!