1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance Woes

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bgster, Jun 23, 2009.

1. bgster

bgster Junior Member
    from na

Hi everyone
    I'm looking to buy my first truck this year but because i don't have much driving experience my commercial insurance quotes are through the roof. (1000+/month) Does anyone have any idea what i can do? Is it possible to incorporate a company and then have a parent as the main driver of the vehicle because their insurance rating is better? I'd appreciate any insight.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How old are you, and how long have you been driving? I think you need to talk to more insurance agents, but you might simply be out of luck for a year or two.
  3. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Definatley need to talk to someone else

What state do you live in?
    Being in the insurance buisness that number of $1,000 a month is ridiculous no matter you age, truck, or anything, PM if you want to chat, I do not work for an agency, but for a insurance company and do not make any money on anything like this, but will offer the best advice I can
  4. CountryChevy15

CountryChevy15 Junior Member

would you need insurance for only residential driveways if you state in your contract that you and your company is not responsible for any injuries sustanded from any snow removal or anything like that?
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes. If you plow for money you better have the insurance.
  6. CountryChevy15

CountryChevy15 Junior Member

whats is the cheapest way u could cover yourself?
  7. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Little known sercret
    No matter what you put in the contract it does nto matter when lawyers and judges get a hold of the case, not to mention that the insurance company would pay the claim because you are responsible, it is like saying that if you car gets damaged in a car wash or in a parking lot and just because they have a sign sayin ghtey are not resposible mean they are not. Truth be told you car/vehicle, is in their care, custody, and/or control therefore they are responsible.

The best and cheapest way to cover yourself is to get a insurance policy with at least minimum limits of $100,000/$300,000 for liability and shop it around, Although I recommend a limit of at least $1,000,000 CSL (Combined single limit). There are plenty of carriers out there that even if they are expensive will not be that much.

Best option find a insurance agent that works with multiple commerical insurance carriers and have them shop it for you. YOu might have to move other insurance to that carrier through the agent in order for the company to write it, but it might be worth it
    again send me a message on my profile page if you want to chat more
  8. jeremey

jeremey Junior Member

Are you sure it's per month? Maybe that quote was for a 6 month period. I have an accident on my recent driving record, am brand new to the business with no experience, and have a 22 year old partner (that's a driver on the insurance, too) - and our commercial insurance costs $85/month. I know there are a ton of things that will make a difference, but $1000/month is completely ridiculous. (I'm not sure if you were including general liability insurance, but even that should be under a couple hundred bucks a month...well, if you don't have any claims on a previous insurance policy that is!... and depending on the coverage that you get. After all that rambling, my point is that $1000 month is WAY too much)

AC2717 sounds like he knows what he's talkin' about, so definitely take him up on his offer and chat with him about it.
  9. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Either this is a joke or you are screwed!:dizzy:
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I agree that $1,000 a month is out of line but realize that some people cannot get insurance for plowing snow at any price. Some companies/states/areas are simply not issuing new policies - period. Others have had policies canceled and refused renewal. The latter is usually due to filing a claim. I know of a guy who had snow plowing insurance, but with "no employees". Another guy helped him out on ONE driveway, ONE TIME and filed an injury claim. (Employee vs Contractor was an issue - court resolved for "employee"). Insurance was canceled, he got sued by Workman's Comp and wound selling his equipment and going out of business. Insurance agent told me he will never again get Liability insurance for anything from any insurance company.
  11. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

He had to leave out a ton of info. Like what is he trying to insure. Was he insuring a trailer with all equipment on it? What size truck? We could be talking about a 10 wheeler and then yeah insurance for the first 2 years could be pricey
  12. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

I'm in the process of rechecking GL insurance- My lowest qoute was $625.00 for the year for snow plowing. Commerical truck insurance was $1500.00 for the year.
  13. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Shop's Lawn

That is not to bad on pricing but would have to see what the exposures are. $1,500 is not bad for the auto, but it all depends on what it includes, There are just way to many factors to say if things are good prices or not
  14. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

thats insane, i got a policy on my family's policy, every vehicle on my family's policy (there is about 6 or 7 of them) is covered under plow insurance, 1 million dollar coverage, for 533 a year. also, 100,000 insurance for equipment, to include truck, plow, sander, snowblower, ect. state farm.
  15. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

You Forget

That is Alaska Pricing though
  16. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Wow that is crazy! For my 3 trucks the total cost per year is around $2400. There is no way you could've gotten quoted that much for one truck. My 3 trucks would be around $36k/year at that rate!
  17. miketonon

miketonon Junior Member

Do I need insurance for plowing if I'm subbing?
  18. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Yes. Most guys won't want or let you on their coverage.