1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurance time

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mcwlandscaping, Nov 15, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I'm getting close to finally convincing my parents that i REALLY need to be insured for liabilty for plowing and all my other business ventures. Just to provide even more backing to my current statements, could you guys possible give as many reasons as possible was to why i should be insured? After awhile i'll print it out and show it to them and that will hopefully convince them for sure! I would be getting insured through dad since i'm not 18 and then having it transfered to me next year!

2. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Check my listing of posts as well as MICK's. Amongst those you will find snowplower's liability chapter and verse
  3. drumbo

drumbo Member

I would think that since you're a minor, you are not "sue-able". If you did some MAJOR damage, which your insurance carrier would deny claim on, your parents would get sued for the damages...and depending on the damages, maybe charged. Some states pass the buck to the parents like that.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ask your parents if they have a couple of million laying around so you can be self insured?

What happens if someone gets hurt?
    You accidentally back into them, slide into them, hit the kid playing in the snow fort they dug in your snow pile.
    back over the kid that was skitching off of your bumper?
    let alone hitting a garage door, a house or a car.
    If you hurt someone they WILL sue you and they could get your parents house and all their assets to settle the claim.
    If you are held liable you could be paying for it for the rest of your life.

Even if you get sued and win the cost of ins will be cheaper than hiring your own lawyer to defend your self as the INS Co's lawyer will be defending you/them from a loss.
    Plus, a lot of business will not hire you if you do not have the proper INS.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  5. drumbo

drumbo Member

As usual, the Farmer's right. Your parents might want to ask their attorney or insurance broker what the law in your state says. The only ammo you need with them is that you can generate enough business to pay for the insurance and then they won't have to worry about it coming out of their pocket.

But if it doesn't come out of their pocket now, it will sooner or later...and in a much different amount than the cost for the insurance.
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Laws regarding liability of parents for the minors' actions vary from State to State. This alone should cause your parents to be running to their insurance agent or prohibiting you from plowing or any other commercial activity. Unfortunately (Missouri is one), some State laws allow the minor (over a certain age) the freedom to do as they please, but the parents are still liable for anything they do. It was explained to my wife and I that if a 16 year old wants to leave home, we cannot stop her. If she wants to live in a dumpster, that is her decision to make. If she damages the dumpster, we are responsible for repair or replacement.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

All true but what if she/him is emancipated?
    Then are they not considered an adult in these matters?
  8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Some states do not recognize this, and NH is one of those states.
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I share your same reasons/concerns! Thank you!!!!

Thank you all of you for your responses so far!!! :)