1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance this year???

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by paul, Aug 29, 2002.

1. paul

paul PlowSite.com Veteran

It seems a lot of insurance companies are dropping certain types of risks, they like the drive way contractors, and the small offices but are shinking away from condos and shopping centers........

Any one else seeing this?
  2. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

I went through a insurance change of sorts............... basically I was cancelled due to a increase in risk!

I went from a landscape/snow contractor to a "general contractor" now sub-contracting 75%+ of work(landscape and snow). I had Statewide insurance, now I have Western Heritage for GL and Constituional for auto's.

My agent and I had a very difficult time in finding a insurance provider that would take on commercial snow removal(especially classified as a "general contractor") and now pesticide applications.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd heard about a lot of insurance companies cancelling policies, so I called my agent the other day. At least for me, I won't be cancelled, but that's not ruling out an increase in the premium. Won't know that till renewal in December. According to the agent, I'm an excellent risk (read: Been in business a couple of years, paid policy in full and no claims):(
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Reading ChicagoSnow's post reminded me. I was actually cancelled last year until the company I'm insured with was convinced that a commercial lot in this area is nothing like a commercial lot in, for example, Boston or NYC. I am restricted from hospitals.
  5. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

No restrictions this year but we just got our renewal and it went up over $8,000 per year, that is just what it went up, I cant imagine what some of the larger companies policys went up. Oh well just another cost of doing business and the customers dont understand why they must pay more than they were paying ten years ago. Oh well just my two cents