1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance..Risk or Game

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BossPlowMaster, Sep 9, 2013.

1. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

I like many others starting out have bought a plow truck. Ive ran my own company since 2011 and have been doing all of my snow removal by hand or by four wheeler. I am 17 1/2 and am having a hell of a time finding an insurance agency to write me a business policy. Any words of advice? Do i risk everything i have for the potential to make it through this year and onto the next ? or do i keep my head on the books and find someone who will give me insurance?

Any comments are appreciated.

~Boss Plow Master
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Yes get/find insurance!!!!! with insurance it's all about how/what you say to them, like a cop only tell them what they ask, dont lie cause it may come back with a vengance. If you do other things maybe start with that, stress to them your use of a shovel thus less likelyhood of causing damage. The atv might be the sticky point to them, get foot in door, keep a clean safe record & in time they will cover whatever your willing to pay for.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not at your age. When do you turn 18? If its during the plow season ask around with an effect date of your birthday.As of right now your the neighborhood kid with a shovel.
  4. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I ran into the same problem when I got started. It is very hard to get insurance or anything else that requires a contract. Simple fact is because you legally cannot enter a binding contract until you are 18. I am lucky that my birthday falls right at the beginning of plow season so I did as Grandview mentioned. Keep looking around but I doubt you will be able to get coverage as a minor. Kudos to you though for trying to do everything the legal way starting out. Many business owners twice your age fail to do that.
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Rock and a hard place....depends on your states law, you're parents could be held responsible for minors. That's something you may want to look into.