1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance requirements way up?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by lawn king, Oct 28, 2009.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Looking at the spec sheets on commercial work, im guessing there were some serious incidents/lawsuits last season? Some of the supermarkets want a liab. umbrella of 5 million, crazy?

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i'm required to have 5 million liability...i agree it's an awful lot but i couldn't get the work if i didn't have it. i guess it helps weed out "lowballers"

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have one customer who bumped their requirements WAY up.

Their price will be going up, since they are the only one asking for that amount of coverage.

4. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Johnson Controls is the only company that ever wanted a 5 million policy, personally I think it is allittle overkill.

5. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

5 million is a bit much. I would just include the added coverage in the bid. JMO

6. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

5 million has become quite std on most retail jobs here in Toronto. We just carry it full time these days. :dizzy:

7. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

one of the major reasons: lawyers and accountants wanting to make sure their customers, which are those you are plowing for, are protected and Indemnified as much as possible