1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance quotes

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Timbercrk1, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

Well this year will be my first year. Got a quote of $1200 per year for Landscaping and Snowplowing and salting. 1 million liability. Covers commercial. How does this price sound. Its the best one I have so far. Some places where 3000-4000yr. Thats insane. This price does not include equipment. Have to add that on. My truck is another 1100 per year with another million liability. Commercial coverage. $1000 det. Let me know what you think. Thanks newbie:waving:

2. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

What company is this with if I may ask. I'm shopping around and that sounds like a good rate.

3. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I dont want to sound negative but, check with your insurnce carrier regarding what they are covering for that premium. I'm probably a couple of hundred miles south of you on Long Island, and for me to add snow removal onto a commercial vehicle policy is about $1400. For that premium I'm covered for snow removal, But not really. It covers me (the vehicle) in case i hit something with the plow, cause damage with the plow, etc... For my business Commercial General Liability is a fortune, that covers me in case I plow a site, then leave and someone falls, etc... I'm bidding a large contract down here now, and what I need as far as coverage is....

1) Proof of Workman's Comp and NYS Disability
    2)Commercial General Liability ($2mil Generaal aggregate/$1per occurence limit)
    3)Auto Coverage NYS policy covering all Owned/Hired/Non-Owned Vehicles ($1mil combined single limit)
    4)Umbrella Policy ($5mil limit)
    * All of the above must list the site(business) as the additional insured with all elected,appointed,employees,and/or volunteers are yo included as additional insured.
    * 10% Bid Bond
    * Final Bonds - Performance and Payment Bonds 100% of contract price

THERE ALSO MUST BE A HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT WRITTEN OUT AND ON FILE.

These Businesses want things this way so as to protect themselves, they know what to ask for because they've been sued in the past. So to plow without the proper Ins is crazy. My current lawyer gets $375 an hour, My total insurance costs over $30k, peace of mind is priceless. But dont get me wrong, if it wasn't worth it people woudn't be doing it. you have to weigh the risk against the reward. The only way that I can make money is by contract whether or not it snows I get paid.

4. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

This is thru Erie insurance.

5. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

That is a good price i got a quote for over $2,000 for 500k. I am going to check them out.

6. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

I pay 1200 for 1,000,000 worth and it covers my truck auto too.
    I can give you guys the name of a guy I Deal with i'm sure he can take of you.

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Commercial auto, and General Liability are 2 seperate policys period. They each cover there own thing, you cant get away with just having one or the other. If you talk with an agent who says its possible run away, there full of crap.
    Insurance is the nature of the beast, your rates need to reflect what your area pays for coverage.
    Try Auto Owners, they write commercial auto, and GL for snow I use them and there prices are okay.Not cheap but not the highest either.
    If you find a rate way cheaper you probally wont have proper coverage. The agents can blow smoke up your ass all day long, the bottom line on coverage is had by the under writer. If you think your coverage is questionable then speak with the underwriter.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

True - T-man and if it's not in writing, it doesn't exist. I've heard about agents promising all kinds of stuff, but when you check the policy, you'll find something different.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree,,

I use "Auto Owners" also.
    Their rates are reasonable.

10. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I have a commercial policy on my truck , and my agent told me not to tell him that I'm plowing and he's ok with it. If I back into a sign, oh well I backed into a sign. Plowing has nothing to do with it.

11. Mick

from Maine

What if you slide into a car or garage? How about if you're in an accident where someone is seriously hurt or killed? You will not be insured. Your insurance agent just screwed you. Sure, HE'S ok with it; Are you?

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: This time I'm talking directly to you:rolleyes:

Your plowing and you back in to a sign and cause damage to your customers property,
    YOU are going to pay for it out of pocket."ho well"
    Your plowing and you back into someone and they go to the hospital YOU are going to be paying for this out of pocket., "ho well":dizzy:

Why have any INS at all if you are not covering your liability?.
    Isn't this the reason to have the proper coverage to CYA?

A lot of places will not hire you with out the proper INS and have proof of it in writing.

13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Most business will not release the first check with out my Certificate of insurance on file and my "TIN". I have my agent fax over certificates after we sign contracts.

GL also would provide an attorney for a frivolous lawsuit you could possibly be involved in. Plan on at least 3K for an attorney just to get a case dismissed.
    Guys like John Edwards make alot of money wiping there ass with the LIL Guys who think they can defend them selves.
    One lawsuit could take everything you own and garnish your wages for a long long time. How do you think trial lawyers can afford 40,000 sf homes ? It certainly is not, from not screwing people. If your properly insured and get sued your insurance will pay for Johnys new Golden crapper and not YOU !

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Have you seen the prices for those "Golden Crappers"::!:dizzy:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  15. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I am new to this whole thing, and am looking to start plowing as a sub, I probably should of said that in my 1st post. My insurance will cover me if I damage somthing/someone. It makes no differance if I am plowing or not from what I was told. Now on the subject of general liabilty I need to have this question answered: If I sub myself out to another contractor do I have to have GL as well, or does his GL cover the property we are working at? I don't think that I would be willing to go and get GL I think that it would bee too much overhead to carry. Thanks, Dale

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Yamaguy,
    If you are his employee then his INS covers you. (you fill out a W-2)
    If you are a SUB-"contractor" then your business needs the proper INS coverage. ( you fill out a 10-99)

A helpful Hint;) You need a new INS agent.:nod:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  17. Mick

from Maine

That's for sure. If "snowplowing" is not listed on your Commercial Vehicle insurance policy, you are not covered if you have a plow mount attached. If you do not have a Commercial Vehicle policy (a Personal Use policy), you are not covered for plowing snow other than in your own driveway. If an agent tries to tell you that snowplowing is covered (even a little bit) under a Personal Use policy, demand to get it in writing FROM THE UNDERWRITER. There is one very well known insurance company out there that does this. I have had several guys come back and say they'd been mislead. Most times it was because that company does not write commercial policies in that particular state. Rather than possibly lose a customer, the agent just lied about it. Hint - They've been written about in Readers Digest twice for not paying claims and was a major player in the Katina Hurricane debacle.

If you do not have a General Liability policy in effect, showing "snowplowing" as a listed activity, chances are good that your Commercial Vehicle policy is not in effect.

I know that if I do not have one of them in effect, the other is automatically cancelled.

Do not try to beat the insurance companies at thier own game; they've been at it a LONG time.

18. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

That's why I'm here, to find out as much as I can so I don't leap blindly into somthing. Thanks for all the info guys.

19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Timbercrk1,since I can't PM you, this is who I use, Ohio Causality Group. You have to go through M&T Bank Insurance Ask for Cheryl Heyden 716-853-7961x336 They do the landscaping & snowplowing . I use Erie for the truck

This company works in all 50 states if anybody else wants to know.