1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rcracing17, Dec 30, 2005.

1. rcracing17

rcracing17 Junior Member

this might be a stupid question, but do you need liability insurance if all you do is plow no shoveling or salting? i am going to start plowing about 10 residentials for a friend who had his truck break down. thanks in advance

2. rcracing17

rcracing17 Junior Member

any help????

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

yes.

Who is going to pay for the car, house, garage you hit with your plow truck? What if a home owner sues you?

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, the need for General Liability insurance is based on the character of services you provide (snowplowing, landscaping, construction, roofing etc). But any time you provide a service or deal with the public, there will be the potential for a lawsuit. Unless you are very wealthy (and want to risk losing it) or very poor (and will never have anything to lose), you should have insurance.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You may want to look in to an LLC also.
    so, when your sued they won't be able to take every thing you have to settle the case. Just some thing ealse to think about..

If you hurt some your 1 mill of coverage will not go very far.

6. Hammer

Hammer Junior Member

New vehicle with Plow

Another point to consider for new Truck Owners....

If you purchase a new truck and plan to have a plow on it, your insurance rates will rise too.

I just bought an Impala, and the Geico rep said, don't laugh but I need to ask this question. Are you planning to install a plow on the vehicle?

Ya know, I never gave that idea much thought... Nah, wife would do many miserable things to me for that dumb idea.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I read that and thought it was a dumb question, too, until I remember seeing a picture of a plow mounted to the front bumper of a passenger car. I forget the name of it. I'm laughing just thinking about the reaction of people around here if someone actually tried that. Actually, I think there's also a rear mounted plow for passenger cars. Maybe it depends on whether you have a front or rear wheel drive car?