1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance question for heavy equip

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Banksy, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

If you get into an accident while plowing with a skid-steer, loader, etc, which insurance policy covers damages? Do you all get a seperate policy or does the general liability kick in?

I have plowing coverage on my truck, but I would like to have a skid-steer in the future.

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We needed a separate policy for a loader. After he told me the price I said thanks I'll get back to you......not a chance in he!!. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2700.00 a year.:eek: It just sits on a site so no big deal, the only time its on the road is going to get gas 75 yards away and getting it back home at 3am.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I thought you meant driving on the road. If I'm not mistaken, your gen. liability would cover it but policy's I'm sure vary quite a bit.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I meant if you're plowing a lot and hit something like a car or god forbid a person who "never saw you" in a big loud machine with flashing lights. A skid steer with a 10' pusher would be very efficient for the snows we get here, but I get paid by the hour, so I couldn't get too efficient.

5. paponte

paponte Senior Member

It is covered under your business liability.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ok thanks. It's a big purchase for the hopes of using it, but it could be used year round I suppose.

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Your GL does cover it but I had to pay extra for it to be insured for the road... wether plowing in between lots or to get fuel.. I have a insurance card for both my loader and skid....HIH

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

10-4. Thanks for clearing that up.