1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance Q

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by The Duke, Nov 21, 2007.

1. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

What companies do you guys use for general liability insurance?

I got a quote on my Commercial auto, but am wondering what some good companies with good rates for GL policies.

Thanks.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Why not ask you insurance agent? Or get an Independent insurance agent. Most companies write policies in particular states/areas. You'll need to find one that writes policies in WI. Not many will write new policies for someone without a record of experience.

3. torquet

torquet Junior Member

Farm bureau only charged me like $9 or so for the snow plow writer on my dodge. I already had $500,000 liability on it. They have treated me really good.

4. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

I have alway purchased my insureance direct, so I do not have a local agent.

Just curious, though. What kind of money (according to what you have, I know everyones will be different, I'm just looking for ball parks) do you pay for the 4-5 months of $1 Million GL coverage?

There are no National companies that do GJ policies?

5. Mick

from Maine

I'd like to help you out, but insurance costs vary so widely that it would be meaningless. I pay $867/yr for $1,000,000 but I am a married 58 yr old male living in rural Maine with no insurance claims on record and good credit. I have a Residential policy and seven years verifiable experience in the field. Now if I lived in Trenton, NJ, my policy would be nearer $2,000/yr. All this doesn't even relate to a 20 yr old living in WI. You can't buy GL by part of a year - at least here.

Go to an Independent insurance agent and have them look around for you. Or grab the phone book and start calling every insurance company that advertises commercial insurance. No, there is no such thing as a national insurance company.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  6. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Thanks Mick.

I will try some local agents. I have always gone with the nationwide companies like Liberty Mutual, Progressive, Allstate, American Family, etc for auto insurance.

I figured that either one of them or some other major company would do GL.

I have exellent credit and have no claims, but have only carried auto insurance for the last 5.5 months......insurance is not required here and my parents "owned" my first vehicle so that they could put it on their insurance, so I never had my own insurance before this year.

I am hoping that it isn't too much, or I may not be able to make a go of this.

My current job situation is that I work 1:30-10 PM Tues-Sat, so I figure that I should be able to get 6-8 hours of plowing in in the morning if needed, or could go for 4-6 hours after work if needed, as well as any "day of the storm" people on Sunday and Monday. Think this will work?

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I pay $550 a year for 2 million in commercial use general liability using state farm here in cleveland. alot goes into the rate. but hope this helps a bit..

8. Mick

from Maine

Sure. Just make sure people understand that you would plow early morning as most people would need that to get out to go to work. Then they'd need to be aware that you couldn't make it for daytime snowstorms until late at night. Check the ordinances for any limitations on noise during certain time periods. The other thing to do is figure out if there are places that don't need plowed at any particular time so you could get them when you are available. Like here, there are lot of "vacation homes" which are places with fairly long driveways and the occupants live in another state. They come here at predictable times, so I may not plow for several days after a storm, as long as it's open when they come up for the weekend. I've got one that comes up once a month on Friday evening for the first weekend of the month and some randomly on Saturday morning. But if they change their schedule, they call or email me before they leave home.

You might also see if you can sub for some outfit or individual. You've got some good times you'd be available. But be careful and don't over-commit. You can only get so many done by 6:30. I only promise one that they'll be open at a certain time and that's the first place on the route. I've even missed that one a couple times due to wierd snowstorms.

9. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Thanks alot Mick.You have been very helpfull!!

I contacted a place looking for subs here and they were going to pay $20-25 an hour. I don't think that is work my gas.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

20-25 an hour, that is not worth even thinking about. even if they were paying for your gas, you can go out and get 10 resis and charge them $30 a piece and make $300 in an hour or two.

11. Mick

from Maine

You're welcome and I'd agree that $25 an hour isn't enough by a long shot. Even if you'd come under their insurance.

12. droptine

droptine Member

Are they paying $20-25 / hour to drive their equipment? This sounds more realistic.

13. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Since they were looking for people with their own trucks, I assume not.

I would be happy to sub for my first year, but I'm not gonna get screwed on it either.