1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance Q&A???

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Big Dog D, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I am relatively new here to PLOWSITE and really look for ward to visiting here most everyday. I think that the biggest issue facing this industry today is insurance handsdown! Has PLOWSITE ever considered, or conducted the same type of Q&A session with a major insurance carrier like you just did with Fisher?

I look forward to the response, and continue to enjoy PLOWSITE! Keep up the good work!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, at one time there was an insurance agent (or maybe his wife was the agent) who was a regular here and answered questions without trying to sell you anything. Recently, there was an insurance agent on here who offered contracts, but it was a ruse for trying to sell insurance. I forget who the first agent was, if he's still here, maybe he'll remind us.

3. Big Dog D

Any interest at all out there?

4. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Very interesting. I hope someone steps up. It is a much needed service!

5. Big Dog D

Start a thread around here about lights or ballast ar some other question that is relatively small in the overall scheme of things and everybody puts in their 2 cents worth. Start a thread about something that is most likely the biggest influence, or challenge to the industry and you get two, maybe three people really interested in it. Go figure??????????

6. Big Dog D

Well, what about it????????

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

hi everybody,
    I talked to my commercial insurance company today about this site she said they are registered in all 50 states.She said she would ask the company managers if they could do something like this. Maybe plowsite owner could call and check into this.
    M&T Insurance agency inc.
    716-853-7961 x335
    Christine Ball

8. JMR

JMR Senior Member

If memory serves me correct it was Plow Meister (Chris) his wife is or was an ins. agent. You could try to PM him.:)

9. Sean Adams

Sean Adams Member

I think that would be a great idea as well. I will give your agent a call grandview and see what they think and if they have an idea....in the meantime what subjects relating to insurance SPECIFICALLY do you think should be covered? In other words, this should not be a Q&A with everyone asking this person....

"I have two trucks in Michigan - what would insurance run me from your company?"

Know what I mean..... if it is a discussion about some important specifics and the participating members recognize that personal questions would need directed via email I think it would be valuable to the site.

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

Erie has great rates. mines under 2,000 a year for 500,000 plus landscaping

11. Big Dog D

I think that something along the lines of the Fisher Q & A would be good. If you could get somebody from a major carrier to come on and answer insurance questions and ignore quote requests it would be great.

For example I think that a lot of people are disillusioned with what it means to add somebody as additional insured and I for one would like a solid understanding of this.

12. Olderthandirt

Olderthandirt Member

Also the differnce between snow removal and ice managment and why the dif rates and coverage between the two.

13. buckdaddy

buckdaddy Junior Member

I thought it was too simple

First off I am NOT an insurance agent! I used to own a company (not plowing) and I did some plowing while working since I owned some rental properties and warehouses. After I sold the company I decided to pick up some other accounts (my bank, vendors I had dealt with, etc). I realized if don't own the property and take money for it, you need commercial insurance. It took a call to Progressive and in 5 minutes I had commercial insurance for an extra $400/yr. BTW, a have a 2 tickets on my record. Hope it helps.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  14. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

One question, after getting your commercial insurance, does this rule out plowing on the side or "under the table"? Do you claim all that you make for income tax? Do you have an actual claimed business?

15. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

right on

thats wut i ran into

progressive does not write comm insurance in NJ yet everyone else wants me to get comm plates ( i cant use my truck on the parkways around NJ ) which is something i dont wanna do ( specialy for a second/spare time job for now )

so what did you do about private plates and plowing little private properties ? i need to be covered in case i back up in someone`s garage door thier fence etc etc

wont be doing big lots or any comercial accounts for now till i get a taste of how well the income is then it may change into a full time job ( for winter at least )

lets all hope is snows all winter starting next week :drinkup:

16. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

american family

i use american family my agent is great and they are reasonably priced,other insurance companies will take your money if you dont read the fine print(plow is for personal use and will not be insured on any other properties but your personal property)so make sure they cover you on other properties and that your fully covered if something were to happen...
    AMERICAN FAMILY
    BETH PLATSON
    815-477-1667
    SHE WILL HOOK YOU UP !!!!

ALLSTATE SUCKS!!!