1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurance problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Heavy Snow Man, May 3, 2004.

1. Heavy Snow Man

Heavy Snow Man Junior Member

My state farm agent has got me all setup for residential but they will not cover me for doing commercial.I have check around town and commercial insurance is $2500 or more a year.I only plan on doing 3 or 4 small lots.That seems like to much money to spend for only 3 or 4 lots and there is no way I would do them without insurance.Is there a nation wide co that deals with this kind of insurance?I live in in kalamazoo Mi.Maybe I should skip the commercial and just stick with residential but I would really like to do some commercial.Any help would be great.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Commercial and Industrial insurance will typically run 3x the rate for residential. First, ask that the carrier (not the agent) make a determination that you actually need Commerial insurance for the specific accounts you are considering. If you do, then you need to make the determination of whether it is worth it. You might also try another insurance carrier. I've found that there is a wide variation in rates among carriers. Look in your phone book.

My advise is to run, not walk, away from State Farm but that's another matter.

3. Heavy Snow Man

Heavy Snow Man Junior Member

I only found 2 insurance co.in town that would even give me a price all the rest said they don't carry that type of insurance. Would I dare to plow and salt a small lot with no insurance?When I say small lot maybe 15min.or so for plowing and salting.
    As far as state farm goes we have been very happy with them.4 years ago tomorrow my wife was all most killed in a wreck and they were right there for us all the way.But that's just our opinion.Thanks for the advise Mick
    on the plowing issue.Have a great day.

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I did all residential for most of last winter which iam fully insured for. Then 3 people that i know asked me to do their small lots. Since iam friends with them i said i would do it, one is a conveinient store and two are small office parking lots. I plowed the 3 lots during 3 storms last year with no comm. ins., it is taking a risk that in many ways is not worth it. I got out of doing one of the office lots and i will get out of the other parking lot before winter rolls around. As for the conveinient store: since its right up the street from my house and is a small neighborhood store i am going to keep doing it. The guy pays me a good amount and iam extra careful to do a good job. If something ever happened i guess i would have to settle with the person out of court and give them what they wanted (slip and fall etc)

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

like was said make sure you are covered for the slip and fall kinda stuff not just hitting someone in the act of plowing.

6. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I checked on the same thing a couple years ago, my insurance agent told me that with my set-up, being a sub contractor for the big commercial contractors in the summer. Me and my equipment are already covered for plowing commercial lots in the winter. I actually just paid the premium last week, at $4,791 it isn't cheap, but worth the money if someone sues!!!

7. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

It would seem to me that this could be fought in court pretty easily. If you plow and salt at 6am and someone falls at 8am, are you still responsible?? How about 10am or noon?? I would think that unless they want to pay someone to monitor the changing weather conditions and to work out the technicalities of when you need to salt again, then they really don't have a case. If I go to stop at an intersection that the City plowed and sanded and I slide through it because I have bald tires, can I sue the city?? If the person that slips and falls is wearing shoes not suitable for wear in the winter, are you still responsible??

I guess it's time the courts get some intestinal fortitude and start waving the ******** flag on some of the frivolous lawsuits.. You buy hot coffee at McDonalds and dump it in your lap, Duhh.. It's gonna be hot..

Why can't we post signs at businesses where we plow?? "ATTENTION! The owner/operator of this business nor any employees/contractors they employee can be held responsible for slips, falls, vehicle damage, or acts of god to visitors of these premises."

Snow is an act of god.. If you determined you needed to salt after plowing at 6am and it's snowed since then but only 1/2 an inch and someone slips and falls, how can you be held responsible??

Maybe we should make the customer responsible for the salting/sanding. I realize a lot of folks make a lot of money salting but, does that take into account the insurance costs for doing it as well??

Sorry for rambling on.. I just hate people that are sue happy..