1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance Prices/Renewals

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by sectlandscaping, Nov 6, 2014.

1. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I only glanced at my renewal when it came and noticed a nice increase. Then I send out for new COIs and find out they stopped insuring commercial snow removal. I look at my renewal package and theres no letter or nothing. I see the endorsement is gone but no warning that it was dropped.

So I start calling around. I get 2-3 or people in a row that say no snow removal at all. Then a few offer only residential plowing. I finally get one quote after a dozen calls and its triple my old BOP.

I have never had such a hard time getting a quote. Waiting on the others in the morning. This is ridiculous though. Those of you with renewals coming up are going to feel it.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My company said they have no problem with increase for next year,

3. BlownAway

BlownAway Junior Member

CIAONLINE.Com if you're in CT. They've been great for me.

4. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Issues...

We were dropped as well from our carrier. Its been a struggle that has lasted a month or more to simply find a company to quote us. Just like you said, many companies not even wanting to touch a snow plowing company. We are paying a lot more for insurance this year and yet somehow I am feeling grateful to have at least found insurance!

5. sectlandscaping

Thats where I'm at. After a week I was so happy to get a number back that I was about to take it.

6. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

Try Hortica Insurance, they specialize in insurance for the green industry. I have had them for 5 years now, and have been happy with prices, and service.

7. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

say goodbye to the 400 policy . heehaw .

8. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Insurance had gone up across the boards...You thought healthcare was high

9. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

My agent tells me alot of insurance companies dont want to take the risk any more. Too easy to slip and fall.

10. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

Ive been battling the same issue for the last 5 years. had two years with one company then they dropped ALL snow removal companies. We had no accidents, claims, nothing! we were a cash cow for them and they still dropped us. were onto our fourth new company in 5 years well see how this goes. Regular plowing is bad enough, throw the word AIRPORT in there and see what they say............

11. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

They probably can't add numbers in front of the decimal point fast enough when they hear that...

12. Bill Grey

Bill Grey Member

I own an insurance agency in NY. I can't help you in CT but the problems you're facing there are similar in many of the Northeastern states. You've really got to shop around and you've got to fully understand what you're being sold. Some companies will not insure you if you do Municipal or road work while others won't cover parking lots (Home Depot, Target). Some brokers and agents are selling coverage through a Risk Retention Group. Those are scary propositions. The best thing you can do is if you're a landscaper, try and find a company that will package your landscaping and snow removal operations on one policy. I would probably tell everyone that at least for the next few years you will probably change carriers a lot. I've seen about 6 drop off in the last 3 years.
    If you want to pick my brain just shoot me a message. If I hear of anyone that might be able to help you out, I'll PM you.
    You can try Mills Insurance Group in NJ but I think his programs are for much bigger contractors.
    I don't think his program is for 1-2 truck operations. He is the ASCA broker of choice for certified guys.

13. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

Sectlandscaping, I think I can give you a little direction here. Instead of trying to buy snow GL coverage by itself, I think you would be more successful if your agent gets you a top quality GL policy that covers your landscaping and your snow removal operations together. There are good carriers out there that are writing these if you have no prior claims (get your loss runs), and run a tight operation. Offer the agent ALL of your insurance, not just this. I am not licensed in NE otherwise I would offer to help you. I strongly suggest that you work with a larger sized independent insurance agent in your state that is well versed in contracting insurance and has good/reputable carriers to work with. Good luck.
    Ben/Insurance
    BPalmeri@Archerins.com

14. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I buy through a broker that sells through several different carriers and am currently covered through Allied. I've been with him (through Allied) since I started having commercial insurance 9 yrs ago without even an increase, other than adding additional equipment on as I grew. I even had a property I service that had curb damage last season. When I went through them for repairs, it ended up being a single car, non injury accident, and still no issues when I renewed in March.

15. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Everyone is always great, UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS AND THEN THEY AREN'T. I had several lawncare customers over the years that were good customers and really nice, but when I got fed up with repeated late payments and finally decided to enforce the late fee, then all of a sudden I was the bad guy and they canceled me. So, if you have a relationship with this person it is probably even more important that you have a contract in place. You know the rule about working with friends/family-don't do it. The reason is is because at some point, they always want to try to take advantage of that relationship to their advantage and when you press the issue, then all of a sudden, you are unreasonable. JMO.

16. sectlandscaping

It was some of the agents that were trying to separate the policy and claiming the snow had to be paid in full.
    I always had a BOP with a endorsement for snow removal added.

I did contact several independent agents. Some were locked out from the others.

I only had 1 claim and it was with National Grange. They were one of the few I had to choose from. I ended up getting coverage for about what I was paying originally. Just took 10 days and a dozen phone calls.

17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You can sign a BOR (Broker of Record) that will allow those agents to get quotes for you from those "locked out" carriers. I'm surprised none of them told you that.

Also - Ben/Insurance's advise is exactly the route I go with or at least recommend to all my clients in this position.

18. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I guess what happens in NJ doesn't stay in NJ after :(all.....

19. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

We use Erie insurance here in Ohio. Never filed a claim, but our agent is great at helping out with anything we need/change.