1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance Nightmare!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by bigjeeping, Sep 7, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

I have called nearly every company in town looking for liability insurance for my lawncare and snowplowing... well none of them will insure you if you're snowplowing income is more than 10% of your lawncare/snowplowing income.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A COMPANY WHICH WILL INSURE ME?

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the insurance break-down

I am in the process right now of getting quotes for my landscape/plow business. What I am finding out is that you can get landscape General Liability with a snow plow rider as long as you do NO commercial and like you said its only 10% of your net income. But, if you do any commercial, or the percentage is more like 50%, than it will be a separate policy ranging from $3,000 to over $10,000. The more commercial the higher it is. They got us by the balls boys, and this is why the lowballers can be so low, because they don't have insurance. Period.

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Bigjeep call my agent he is in Clarkston MI. 248 625 0410 I do not do any lawns, and I pay about $800.00 a year for G/L ins. Ask for Bill Smith or Sharon.

Good Luck Mike

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Try Mutual Assurance Insurance. That's who I'm with and don't have to show percentage of income. I'm not really pushing any company, just offering it as an alternative. Insurance is very changeable from State to State and personal circumstances, but it looks like this is offered in both Michigan and NY.

http://www.middlesex-mutual.com/

5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

All I do is call my insurance company that insure's my truck and cars and get the G/L insurance added in October, it cost me at $ 350.00 of which I make payments on, I once stretched it ( payments ) out over the end of the snow season and canceled it before it was paid in full :dizzy:

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just a caution on this tactic. I know with my insurance, cancelling or letting it lapse is not an option. Once cancelled, I have been informed they will not rewrite it. Once a policy is lapsed with any company, the likelihood of any other company writing a policy is nil.

7. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies so far!

I just called bill smith and that company from Mick... waiting for responses from both of them

8. bingermann

bingermann Member

Insurance

I know that insurance can vary state to state, and by personal circumstances, but I use Country Insurance for my lawn & snow removal business. They insured me with a $1,000,000.00 liability policy that covers slip and fall and it only cost me $399.00 annually. Any insurance company trying to hit you with premiums in the 1000's are wholesaling your policy from another provider on the "Excesses" market. Many big companies do this as they have lost so much money from snow removal. Country put no limits on residential or commercial or total percentage of overall income. As an extra layer of security I made my business an S-corp, which limits personal liability and protects my personal assets. It is a more solid way to protect yourself rather than using LLC's. If you are a sole proprietor and uninsured your eventually gonna lose it all! Just my two cents.

9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Thanks Mick, your right, it's not something you ever want to take for granite, it will bite you in the a** as soon as you start pulling stupid stuff.

10. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Try State Farm, they have been the cheapest for us in rural Montana

11. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Just got a quote from Bill for:

$500,000 coverage landscaping & snowplowing
    885/year

workers comp
    750/year

Is this a good rate? Anyone getting better? I know that the workers comp rate is the minimum.

12. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Anybody got a good company for NY... I keep getting astronomical rates....

13. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I use Farm Family Ins....They are in New York...

Gene

14. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I use Motorists Mutual. They have been good for me for our rental properties, home insurance, auto policy, and general liabilities. The only other insurance company I use is for our health insurance, and disability ins. We also use progressive, but that is for personal toys like motorcycles, and jet skis. Motorists has been good for all auto/bus insurance. Workers' comp will vary per state depending on employees and payroll if I am correct. Thru Motorists I do meet with my insurance guy once or twice per year to make sure we have correct payroll amounts per category (lawn/landscaping, street sweeping which also is the category our snow plowing and parking lot sweeping fall into). Good luck.

15. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Couple things here you may want to look at.
    Workers comp is based on a percentage of your annual payroll.So to quote 750 seems odd I guess and way to low. ( I pay 2000 a month for 2 trim carpenters) You will be audited yearly to see what you still owe. It takes time so you get spanked for being new, once you get your own rating it should drop if you have no major claims.

500,000 is low so look at a million it usually is only a few bucks more.
    Oh and try Auto Owners Insurance, its strictly commercial insurance.
    Todd

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  16. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

Anyone from Massachusetts in here? I just got quoted $8000 yr. for my 78 F700 for plowing w/1 mil liability. This seems really high. Can anyone shed some light on this????

17. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

900 sounds great for lawn and snow Jeep.

State Farm told me they dont insure landscapers in Michigan period.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  18. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

A place called Total Insurance Services in Clarkston MI
    (248) 625-0410 Bill Smith
    I think the carrier is Zurich

How can I add someone to my LLC company? Basically, now that it's formed how can it be turned into a partnership?? anybody

19. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

I've been reading up on forming a LLC or a LLP recently. I believe you just have to file a modification to your original Certificate of Organization stating the changes.

20. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Ya I called state farm a few weeks ago, they said they dont insure landscapers either, so that sucks.

Im calling bill tommorrow