1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurance in IL

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by dheavychevy38, Nov 1, 2010.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

So the company I sub for wants us to carry workmens comp this year. Is this manditory for IL or just something this company is trying to do ? Who do you guys use for insurance in IL cause my new guy seems off of his rocker for a price. Thanks in advance Denny

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Good question.

Illinois is a friendly sue them all state. They are also lop sided toward the worker and against the company.

If you could get a true legal response on this question that would be great. But what you will get a ton from the gov and insurance folks is hear sae. No facts. Even the status of claiming a person as a 1099 or w2 is iffy. Yup - it is all written by lawyers turned politicians and it is not meant to be black or white.

If you carry workmens comp let's say for 1 person who operates your truck and you consider them a W2 .... guess what .... the contract with your workmens comp policy says you now have to carry it for everyone ( subs too unless they show you a policy ). In Illinois the state allows for an index which rates are based off of. 10%, to 25% is not too uncommon. ....yes, most avoid because they do not have this extra money.

3. dheavychevy38

The bad thing about all this is I am haveing to park two of my trucks cause I can't afford the insurance on them this year. The one guy I have run one of my trucks has such a bad record from when he was younger that the insurance guy just laughed.:angry: I also keep getting told that If I am the head of my company then I don't need workmens comp on me. But others say because I work for a company as a sub then that doesn't mean squat. I think 500 $ a month is high for insurance and that is before the workmens comp. :cry:

4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

There are plenty of people looking for work, put an ad out and start searching for someone w/ a clean driving record if you have the accounts.

5. dheavychevy38

The company I sub for always has work wesport. I have to see how this whole insurance thing goes. The thing with the my other drivers is they live right by me so they are very dependable lol. Plus I took a pay cut this year just to plow snow :angry: So I think parking those other trucks might be the way to go for now and then when they say we need those trucks payup thats when I will be collecting.

6. Propony

Propony Member

In Illinois you if you are a sub contractor you need to have WC & LIAB. As far as the WC goes if you dont have any employees you as an owner can opt out of the coverage and just carry a basic policy with no current payroll exposure and that should only cost you about $800.00 per year.

As a GC that has sub's I deal with this issue all the time, we (the GC) get audited every year as part of the ins policy agreement and if we dont have a certificate of insurance on file for each sub, we get back charged for their exposure for the total amount we paid them even if they dont have any employees and their a 1 man band. Scam by the Ins Co's...you betcha, but thats life.