1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurance help

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by bjwlawncare, Jan 12, 2009.

1. bjwlawncare

bjwlawncare Junior Member
    from PA

I got a notice saying I need more insurance now. 600,000 was good in november. Can they do this and does this seem right. 2 million. It is a small lot right now I charge them 125 per push 75 salt 30 sidewalks. It is an assisted living home with a lot that probably holds 50 - 60 cars max.

This is what they are requesting:
    They want 2 million general aggregate, 1 million personal injury, 1 million each occurance.
    On my vehicle they want 1 million combined single limit or bodily injury.
    Excess/umbrella liability they want 5 million each occurence and 5 million aggregate.
    Under workers comp they request 500k each accident, disease policy limit 500k and 500k for disease each employee.

Does this seem reasonable or is it out of line for requests you receive?
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

This sounds like very specific numbers that they are probably not pulling out of this air. I imagine these numbers have been imposed on them from somewhere. The probably just got sued by someone LOL. I have never had a customer even ask me about insurance. Of course that doesn't mean it's not needed..... Anyway, call your agent, find out how much it will cost, and tell the assissted living home how much their new price will be after you take your new expenses into consideration. Look at it on the bright side, it could really save your butt one day.
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Thats not uncommon, bottom line is their insurance was audited by their company and this is what they were told they needed to require of their providers, I'd guess anyone providing a service for them needs the same coverage, sometimes they ask for more from snow contractors due to the exposure to liability. I hope you have carte blanche to service as you see fit, if not you better get them to sign a declined services agreement. I do lots of commercial properties, actually only commercial properties except 2 "backscratches" I do for people whose buildings we do, and only twice have I been asked for 2 mil - 1 mil -1 mil............and they were both big retail locations. Sounds to me like their ins co just got sued for big money or settled something for an under insured/non insured contractor somewhere.
  4. bjwlawncare

from PA

thanks for the replies. How much insurance do you guys have. and how much did it cost you. I paid 1,200 for 600,000. ???
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Call you insurance company and have then bump it up. At the end of the season go back down so you'll only be paying 3 months worth.
  6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

What GV said.
  7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Most people carry 1 million worth around here (either a million or zero).
    2 million seems like a lot
    1st, you need to find out, how much more it is going to be? if it's $50, well you can just eat it. If ti's a thousand bucks, well...........

For such a small lot, I'd tell them sure I'll do it, but I'll be charging you the additional premium. That seems fair. They require above and beyond the typical numbers, they have to pay.

In response to GV's suggestion, they don't do that around here. All policies are 1 year in length. (even snow liability), so you can't just drop it, you already paid.
  8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It's going to be alot more than a thousand bucks. For the same number requirements for me it runs close to 10 grand a year. What you will have to do is give them the choice of either paying out your contract as is, and find someone else to plow for them, or you will have to re-price the lot. My guess is they will never find anyone that carries that kind of insurance. I would even bet they will want to be added as additional insured, and will have some kind of language in there about releasing all libality for owner, residents, visitors, and employees. The language issue is waht will cost the most money on your new policy
  9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like alot of cash for what your getting in coverage. I have a great guy in Pa. Great rates. The coverage they are requesting seems really high though. I carry 2 mill GL, 1 Mill auto, and an extra mill umbrella.
  10. bjwlawncare

from PA

Thanks for the help guys. We have 1 year policies in scranton. Insurance man said it will cost $620 more. Tough spot. Should I eat it hoping to get the lawn work in summer or raise their price and see what happens. I was leaning towards eating it just because I do their sister lot which is owned by the same company???I don't want to lose both that is for sure.
  11. bjwlawncare

from PA

here it is

from the company

12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go talk to them. Tell them what is going on, and explain the deal to them. I can eat the cost of this if you sign both properties now for 3 years, snow, and lawn, or here is how much extra it will be for the remaining winter months and go from there. Make the deal attractive enough for them to sign and you will have 3 years worth of work.
  13. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed!!!! Your really getting a good deal if all that extra insurance is only gonna cost $620. What company are you with?
  14. bjwlawncare

from PA

State farm it doesn't seem right does it. I faxed him the requirements above and that was his quote over the phone. I am going there tomorrow with a check. Best part is guys I raised their price slightly and they had no problem with it. Win/Win. Thanks so much guys it was a huge help.
  15. sp6x6

sp6x6 Member

Ihave that kind of coverage and one month costs more than that upgrade, but that is as a GC. All my subs have to have 1-2 mill. coverage dependent on current project. That is part of why I blow snow, I'm already covered
  16. farmfamily

farmfamily Junior Member

You should go to www.farmfamily.com and use their agent locator. Their the leader in the northeast for landscapers and snow plowers.