1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurance help please

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by cutshortlandscaping, Feb 26, 2016.

1. cutshortlandscaping

cutshortlandscaping Senior Member

for years it has been a dream of mine to make a snow and ice management only company like case snow everast snow and arctic snow I have owned a landscape company for years and have been doing snow for years i have built a good client list for snow the only thing holding me back is the cost of insurance the insurance i have is great i pay around 4k a year for 1 mil coverage for full season work we have never had to use it for a snow related incident but it doesn't cover big box stores and strip malls which is a lot of what i would be doing the insurance guy quoted me 30k to be able to do strip malls and big box stores so does anyone know a insurance co that would cover that type stuff and not be mega expensive??

2. triplestrokes

triplestrokes Junior Member

Change carrier's.

3. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

X2 sounds crazy, Completed snow operations should cost you somewhere around $2500.00.

4. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Hard on my eyes reading your post .

Sawboy likes this.
  5. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Our insurance premiums are based off annual income... if I make more they make more..

6. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Mine there is a one time fee for every client added to policy.

7. cutshortlandscaping

What carriers do you guys use

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Different states, different rates. I'm in Jersey, so it's insane here. But I would think he's gonna pay a lot more to do big box stores, than a mom and pop hardware store. And I'm not trying to be the English teacher. But please use a period, capital now and then.

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Do you use a local reputable agency? What exactly are you trying to do? You say you have a GL you are happy with. Why did you not need snow insurance before? I see your in NY this should not be a hassle or send you broke.

We could list are carriers but I have not shopped in a long time. You need a smart agent that knows your looking for a fair quote and won't stop shopping until you find it. Don't tell them your looking for malls just state commercial plowing. You just want completed snow added to your current GL. The only restriction I got is 24hr big grocery stores. Your carrier will let you know if they don't want you there or possibly a one time fee to approve before bids are submitted with insurance info. If your still having problems let us know.

11. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed. I stopped at the third line. Some call it petty, but the fact is, if you want to be seen as a pro, use punctuation. Makes it easier for those reading, and no matter how good you are at your job, the proposal (in this case, the question asked) is the first impression.

12. cutshortlandscaping

All proposals and bids have proper punctuation and spelling. I didn't know you needed that stuff for a question on a forum.

SnoFarmer likes this.
  13. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Very good lesson, Now you know, Lets get to your issue, You did not respond to upper post besides these guys breaking them. 30K ??? Again I'm in NY not having this issue.

14. cutshortlandscaping

I don't know what it is but every where I go it's mega expensive in order to plow larger lots. I can do small lots and residential drives with my current insurance but the big stuff I can't touch. who do you use?

15. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

I use a broker. He can shop around and find the best deal for me. Maybe try that. I don't know what it is in your state but my premium is based on how much I invoice for the year. It's a percentage that stays proportional with how much work you do.

16. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

The small lots are commercial aren't they? You still need slip and fall? What is a large lot to your current GL. Something isn't right. This is just a addition to your current GL. Not uncommon for landscape Co. to have completed snow added.

Yes your rates may increase from the small lots or a fee. It's not enough to change your mind on commercial. I would be more than happy to PM you with info. Not today, Have no idea where to look. I would like to figure out why this is a problem before I do. You got to figure why this is happening. My GL is excavating and paving. Had no issues adding snow and no property's rejected.

17. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I use travelers and they have no exclusions or any input into lot size.(no public roads)My premium is based on income.When I asked my agent about extra snow coverage he said I don't need it.He said if there is not a specific exclusion written into the policy,then I'm covered.I had a 200k slip and fall a couple years ago that was refused by my ins (slip was caused by ice from leaking gutter) and never heard anything more from ins company.I'm in ct and pay 2600$ which includes 2 mil gl,insures my skid steer,excavator and my shop. Shop around and never offer up to much info,let your agent handle it,the insurance companies are always looking for a reason to hose you!

18. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

That's what I'm talking about, $2500 to $2800. Somethings not right or they are trying to shaft him. Most carriers are more worried about traffic flow than size of lot.

19. cutshortlandscaping

I have slip and fall and full gl for snow but if I was to all larger lots than it would increase from $2000 a year to $30,000 a year

20. cutshortlandscaping

That's weird because I have travelers too I'll have to look into it than