1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance gave me 2900 +

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by birddseedd, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I say + because they might give me a little for the tail gate when i get them pics.

In short:

Truck values at 5k. If i spend the 3k on http://centralmich.craigslist.org/pts/4292922898.html, the value will double, just over 10k.

some say buy parts make it nice, some say just add a light, some say F it and throw the money away on 3 grand worth of lottery tickets.

Either way, figure I will create a thread, since the conversation seems to be going further than (i got a check today), so im getting out of that thread so it can move on.

its hammer time :mechanic:

2. birddseedd

Its simple. I can put 3k (or less) into this vehicle, and have a vehicle worth 10 grand. If i sell the vehicle, i am now in the position of needing to buy a vehicle, and will not have 10 grand to buy a vehicle with.

also, there is a lean on it and i cant sell it anyway. still paying on the effing thing.

now, im not saying the ultimate best decision is to spend all 3 grand on it. I can get a new box, bumper and tail gate and call it good. but if i can happen to get a good deal on the one with a blown engine, it wont cost much more and i can get a heck of a lot more fixed on it. The instrument cluster alone is worth 600 bucks.

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I wouldn't pay 3 grand for that truck. Once you use the body parts its scrap. Maybe you can sell the trans for a few hundred. But with the block cracked it'll be a tough sell

The question is. Do you want to keep current truck or sell it

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Thank you. Now offer that dude $1500 for the whole truck, take what you need or think you may need. Then let the scrap guy pat you a couple hundred to haul off.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

$2900! Go buy the wife and kid(s) a nice used car or even an SUV. From the way you talk about money hardships, your family needs that money more than your truck needs a bed.

I thought maybe you got only several hundred or something. Bird, don't wast this chance to make a smart financial decision.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

If you simply can't resist pissing the money away, at least follow this.

7. birddseedd

Yes i do want to keep it. Its now the "family car". I'm paying on it, and as mentioned, I cant sell it anyway due to the lean. Even if i sold it, im just going to have to buy another one, which wont be in as good of shape.

8. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Bird dont spend a lot on that dodge.It will never be worth ten grand unless you fill it with gold. Everybody hates dodges they dont have any resale value. I can see fixinrg the bed but I wouldnt spend more than five hundred for a bed and bumper, Just work the **** out of it. Its just a tool same as a shovel or a rake.

9. kimber750

The cat alone can be worth $100+ in scrap.

10. birddseedd

Thats the plan so far, buy this truck for cheap. Snag what I can, then scrap it.

But im still talking with wifey about it. decision is not final as of yet.

3 grand would get a decent suv.

Another thought also, this is my backup truck still. In fact, i'v used it more than my new ford. Next year I will also have enough work to pay a guy a wage to plow in it (ya know, so it can get banged up again).

So despite the fact that my wife will drive it primarily, there is still money to be made with it.

11. quigleysiding

Listen to us this time . Go buy the wife a nice little car for her and the kid.

12. birddseedd

If i buy one that cheap, i might as well hammer this one out.

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Want to know something funny?

My 01 4wd "poor condition" dodge 2500 gas kbb at 12k

My 07 2ws 150 kbb at 5k in excellent condition

Same miles setup etc

Wtf lol

14. kimber750

Can you afford the insurance on another vehicle?

15. birddseedd

Well. if i were to do that, I would put this one in storage during the summer and put cheap storage coverage on it. Then the bed wouldn't matter. Heck, take the bed off, itl only be a plow truck then.

16. quigleysiding

Offer that guy 500 for the bed if he dont take it just hammer your old one out till you find one cheep

17. birddseedd

Same thing with that guy's truck and mine. bad condition 2x2 worth 3 grand, bad condition 4x4 worth 5 grand.

i'm talking with the wife, a better mileage family car would be nice. Heck, i could keep the dodge as my work truck and only sneak the ford out when i have a huge load.

18. kimber750

Just remember you will have insurance, maintenance and repairs on 3 vehicles, 4 if you keep the baby dodge. Any car for $3k will most likely need some minor work. I still suggest fixing the dodge and putting the rest in a rainy day fund.

19. birddseedd

Thats what i'm kinda split on.

A few cheap parts to make it respectable, or a little more if i can get this guy's truck, make it like new again and worth keeping. and keeping a grand to help me get from winter to spring

or the other option.

Rip the box off, put the 3 grand away, then add a couple grand to it at tax time and get a car.

Ill see what kidn of price this guy is tryign to get, but other than that, maybe i can sleep on it for a few days

20. quigleysiding

Yup take your time and think what would be best for you and the family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.