1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance Fraud?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jb1390, Jul 8, 2014.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I witnessed the scene of a car accident which damaged property (knocked down mailbox), and moved stones from a stone wall. The wall is in CT, and is a typical fieldstone wall that was never professionally built, and was in slight disrepair.

The damage, from my estimation, is minimal. The property owner told me that the car drivers insurance will pay for the damages, and because if that, is planning to relocate the wall to move it 6' back, and have it professionally rebuilt (using fieldstone). To me, this seems like trying to use the incident for improvement of his property-instead of just fixing the damage caused and returning it to its original state. Should I contact the insurance company to let them know?
  2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I'm sure they will send out an adjuster when they get a 20,000 dollar estimate. Usually there's a negotiation process and believe me they aren't stupid. We deal with a lot of claims for storm damage and have actually done a fence after a drunk hit it. I would let the homeowner do what ever he wants but make him aware of the consequences of filing a false claim.
    I didn't read that right. I thought they were asking for an estimate. I wouldn't worry about it if they don't ask you for anything.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

If this was my vehicle that did the damage, I would have taken photos of the resulting moved rocks, and knocked down mail box, and sent it to my insurance agent via email. Documenting the event will save anyone, and their insurance company big time. If they just pay it out without reviewing it, they could get a higher increase in their policy.

Are you "officially" a witness on a police report ? You would / could be contacted by the insurance company for your testimony, and even cell phone pictures would help.

Personally, I would have tried to offer fixing it myself..... without going through the insurance, but I guess it all depends on the knucklehead I was dealing with, now wouldn't it ???

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Insurance Company will pay replacement value for damage done. The owner can do all the described work but I doubt the insurance will cover more then the value of repairing the damaged section.
  5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I am not officially a witness-though I was the first to arrive at the scene. I do not believe that the insurance would contact me, in fact the police did not request my testimony at the scene.

From what I've gathered, I think this is correct. In addition, I just found out that the responsible party found out about the situation, and is privately documenting the damage, and will be obtaining photographs from google maps of the wall prior to the incident, to forward to their insurance company.
  6. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

The owner of the car's insurance carrier will likely inspect the damage and make a decision on the cost of the repair.
    It's the adjuster's discretion on the repair/replacement process and the cost is usually worked out with the contractor performing the work.