1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurance for part timers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by goodlivin33, Mar 1, 2012.

1. goodlivin33

goodlivin33 Senior Member

i am trying to get some help with a question about one of my accounts i have a guy that helps me shovel on occasion and i am set up as a sole proprietor and the business i plow for is asking for proof of workers comp or i am going to have to shovel it myself any advice would help thanks

2. PPP

PPP Member

To do things legitimately your either going to have to be a one man show or step up and get coverage. I am in a similar situation. I have one full time employee and a seasonal as needed part timer. In order for me to keep 3 of last years commercial contracts they are requiring workers comp coverage. I went to my local agent as well as 3 others looking for quotes. They are very specific with their questions and want a copy of your pay role. You may find that its not worth it for you if you only need it for this one client. But I have found that most commercial jobs require it. It does help when biding some residential work. If you have it and the other 5 companies that look at it don't then you will have a better chance of getting the job. Use it as a tool. I think this is what helps seperate the big companies from the little ones. With what I am going to be paying can only hope that it will pay off in the form of more jobs.

3. goodlivin33

goodlivin33 Senior Member

thanks that was what i was thinking and just wanted a little input...i think im going to keep it a one man show for now...maybe change it up as more accounts come up...

4. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

As you are acting as a sub for another company, you may well be required to have workers comp even as a one man show. I know my insurance company requires I have proof of coverage for any sub's I 1099 during the year. I would get clarification on what there requirement is.

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

If you are a sole proprietor and hold the contract, you would not be required to have workers comp. I don't know if you can do this, but what about sub contracting the shoveler? If they provide all their own tools, supplies and transportation, I think you could get around workers comp ( because they are technically not an employee of yours ) but still have someone do the shoveling for you. Again, I don't know if you can do that, but it might work??

6. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i agree, just 1099 them and they are not employees thus no employee coverage needed.

frankly it seems odd to me why they would require workmans comp insurance, wouldn't they be more worried about liability insurance to cover them as the customer. or are they thinking if the guy shoveling slips and falls they could sue the customer? frankly gen. liability would cover this aswell.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You just can't go around and 1099 anyone you want.

8. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

technically if its under 600 bucks a year you dont even have to give them a 1099 or even claim the income.

here in michigan anyway.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's called casual labor.

10. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

Trouble is you can get a casual worker. :sleeping:

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Grandview, I'm sending you a 1099, but first I need your EIN:laughing: