1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance costs?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by JustJeff, Sep 30, 2011.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Just called my insurance agent to get a quote for GL insurance. He quoted me 2197 for six months of coverage. That seems like a lot more than I paid three or four years ago. As stated, I haven't done this in a couple of years, but does price sound like the norm for a single truck w/plow?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is this including your truck insurance too?

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

It depends on how big you are...what's your exposure? What kind of equipment do you run, and how many? How many guys do you employee? Have you had any claims, or bad track record?

I'm a one man show, with one truck....I pay just over $400 a year for 1 Mill. of coverage. So yeah, what you were quoted seems high to me, but there are variables that you have to consider.

4. JustJeff

Yes, this is including my regular truck insurance. I believe when he broke it down he said I was actually 1,500 for the GL policy. And yes, it's only me with one truck, not like I'm a huge company covering numerous pieces of equipment. I've made zero claims, and have a clean record, with no violations or accidents in the past three years, which is how far back they checked for insurance purposes.

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yeah, I would tell him to pound sand, and move on.

6. grandview

Little high but not far off. What type of deducible do you have?

7. JustJeff

I'm not even sure, I didn't get that far. Once he gave me the number I told him I was going to check around and get back to him, and that's when I got on here to ask if he was out of line or not.

8. grandview

You should tell them you want at least a 1,000 deductible.

9. 78Craft

78Craft Junior Member

that Gl for one person does seem high. With my company for a basic GL for one person plowing it is generally around $500.00 for the year. That is with an avg time of about 24 weeks of actual plow time.

10. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

heck i wish my insurance was that...but i guess it is part of doing business

11. GTLS

GTLS Member

Repo, what does that $400 cover? I am in the same boat as Harleyjeff, as I just turned 18, and am curious about what to look for under coverage and prices to expect. Thank you

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Anything that is the result of plowing. I had initially asked for "slip and fall coverage", and they came back with this "umbrella" policy that would cover everything that my Commercial Auto policy didn't cover, it also picks up where my Commercial Auto limits leave off, in the event of a more severe incident. I actually just bumped my coverage to 5 Mill Saturday, my new premium is now $528.

13. BlackKnight07

BlackKnight07 Member

Little High I pay $600 for 6 month, its just Me and One Truck.. That is with a 1k deductible

14. BlackKnight07

BlackKnight07 Member

One more thing, Did your insurance company ask if it was " For Profit"? Sometimes its different pricing another words if ur doing it under the table, there might be a different rate..Not 100% been a few months since of talked to my Insurance guy.

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

They don't offer 6 month policies, and they know it's seasonal....it's just like my boat insurance. It's rated as seasonal, but placed on a 12 month policy. My deductable is $500

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yup, they did ask me at the begining.

17. 78Craft

78Craft Junior Member

Slip and fall or "products and completed operations" will make the premium jump up. I always recommend it. The 450 for the year is for 1mil/2mil coverage with no employees and No deductable.

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

Why bother carrying a GL policy if it doesn't cover slip & fall? That's just asinine.

19. 78Craft

78Craft Junior Member

depends on the situation I guess. Also depends on if your by yourself or working for another company as a sub. Depends what they require.

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

I would imagine your always culpable, no matter the situation. When it comes to civil lawsuits....there are no boundaries. Doesn't matter if your an employer, sub contractor, or even an employee.