1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance companies

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by milwaukeevtwin, Sep 21, 2011.

1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Well i have been using Erie for the last few years. Erie has a problem with me because i only want a 6 month policy on my trucks i run 5 trucks for commercial insurance during the snow season. During the summer i do some mowing and construction work and do not need commercial insurance and they do not want to cover me for 6 months, And i am not going to run commercial insurance for a year when it is just me in the summer. Any suggestions? I am sure i am not the only one in this situation?
    Thanks, Ron
    professionalimagesllc.com

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Shop around. I use Erie because they have the best truck rates right now.

3. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Insurance

That why i am asking is to shop. I need sum input There are a couple million insurance companies, Like attorneys. LOL

4. grandview

Talk to a broker this way they can shop around for what you want.

5. 78Craft

78Craft Junior Member

I am not sure it is Erie or the agent. I currently have a few plow truck drivers and it is actually cheaper for them to just leave the commercial on there year round instead of switching it back to personal. I generally do lower the limits in the summer months though as they do not need the high liability coverage in the summer. I would be more than happy to get you a quote if you would like. I have taken a few customers from erie.

6. bigboss1977

bigboss1977 Senior Member
    from Utah

auto insurance

So my truck is insured on my personal auto insurance and is registred to me not my business through state farm. State farm couldnt get me the best general liabilty insurance so I went else where for that. But my commerical general liablity insurance agent has said that my personal auto insurance wouldnt cover anything if I was using my truck commerically since it's on my personal auto insurance if I was to get into an accident. It makes since but wanted to get other people's feedback on what they think.

7. grandview

That's right.

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

What grandview said is correct, that said I do several guys that have gotten into accidents & had it covered by personal auto, we're talking fender bender, couple thousand dollar claims though, probably cheaper to pay & keep good client than fight about it. Not a I backed over a dad (hes dead), mom is a stay at home mom with 3 kids situation. Where the claim is pushing to the upper limits of a policy or beyond. So I guess it could be considered a "grey area". I keep my trucks insured commerciall, but pull a couple off the road, turn in plates & keep insured only for fire & theft as they are "snow only trucks". So they still have my gen liability, umbrella, & commercial auto (for two trucks).

9. MGV

MGV Junior Member

I had Progressive now I have been using Farm Family for the last 5 years. Last season I went to a broker and they could not find anyone cheaper than Farm Family.

10. 78Craft

78Craft Junior Member

Generally speaking as soon as the blade drops or the salter is turned on your GL takes of the liability portion of your insurance. Is your auto listed as a personal auto(buisness use) or just a personal auto?

Make sure you have the additional equipment covered on the truck as well, such as the plow and salter.