1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance companies required documents

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Dogplow Dodge, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Okay,

After getting a quote from my existing insurance company, and it went up $1000 for nothing, no claims, etc., I decided to get a second quote from another insurance company. Well, I applied 3 weeks ago, paperwork galore, etc, but NOTHING was said or requested at the time for loss runs from the other company for the last 3 years. This surprised me, as I thought it was normal for it to be requested.

So, insurance runs out in a few weeks, and I'm hounding the new place for the quote. Just so happens that my wife works there, and as usual, it's the broker dealing with my wife's employer that's taking forever. Well, today, again, just a few weeks before my policy runs dry, I get a call that the new company wants Loss runs 3 years, and I'm required to have every commercial account sign this waiver attached. If I won't get all the clients signatures, then they would void my insurance at that time because of it.

Now read page one of the addendum. What does the first paragraph say ? Do not include in your contract, but get them to sign it anyway.:dizzy::dizzy:

Never heard of an insurance company dictating what your agreement with your customer would be..... until now..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I thought you were good to go. What happens during a storm, you pick up a new customer, you have to notify insurance company? They don't just want some of the profit. They want it all.

3. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

Run far, and run fast from this company.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

"Please do not put this disclaimer on your contract with your customer"...lol. Duh hey dumb snowplower...

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

They didn't even change my price when I added commercial plowing. Try nationwide

6. jcoria

jcoria Junior Member

Dogplow pm me. My insurance lady got me a great price on gl. I don't know how to pm lol

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Hey Dog I got some vacant properties for rent and can line you up some snow work. So come over to America and get out of the communist republic of New Jersey. Hell I even have some lager in the fridge. :drinkup:

8. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

If I wasn't tied to a ball and chain, I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You got 1-2 million or whatever in commercial INS for nothing? free....

IMO, you got nothing, did you ever see your policy?

ps you have been fishing for a while it's time you got a bite...

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Man you guys got troubles in NJ. You mentioned one time about you could get the snow insurance with landscapers GL. Any way you could do that and be covered on your summer projects.

I mean this is a simple thing here NY. You just add completed snow operations to your GL. It does not matter what kind of GL you are holding.

Good Luck

11. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Not available here.

Thanks Joel,

I just got off the phone with her. Will let you know how it all goes.

Seems like a very nice person. Hopefully, she can shed some light on this.

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Maybe they saw the pics of you molesting a fire hydrant. :eek:

My rates have never changed.

13. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

That's it...the hydrant...

Inreased 1000 last year and 1100 this year. Hopefully this New contact works out

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I already had landscaping. I made it very clear what we were doing. She sent me a new policy 2 weeks later.

How I got it for free, I'll never know. But I was already paying $250 a month

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Cool,
    If you have it in writing, I'd just pay it too and shut up.

16. CHPL

CHPL Member

Looks like the template is to limit your potential liability by explaining that you can't control the weather.

17. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

The part that no one has been able to explain from the INS co. is what exactly am I supposed to do with it ? My wife surmises that it's to be provided to the commercial clients in a separate signed notification or form. The paper specifically says it's not a legal document, and is not to be included in any of the contracts with the customers, yet I've been told to get them to sign it, or I will not have any coverage on that account.

Really odd, although I'm sure it's just as some sort of back up notification should there be a claim of loss.

18. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

My ins co doesn't have that form, however they review each contract for terms. They refuse to insure any client that doesn't control the entire scope of services. This includes sanding, salting, and plowing. Pretty much precludes working for a national,which I think is great.

19. CHPL

CHPL Member

A few years ago my insurance sent us a document with verbage to incorporate into our contracts. Similar to what you have. We did, our lawyer reviewed it and was pretty happy with it. He said As long as it gets signed it adds more responsibilty on the property owner.

That is probably what they are looking for.
    It looks like it gets added to the bottom of your contract after you put the scope of work and pricing.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  20. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

Dogplow, it is not uncommon today to see insurance carriers issue these documents. You are likely getting this from an Excess and Surplus Lines (E&S) carrier where the applicable forms/endorsements (and your written acceptance) are only available. It is very unlikely that a licensed carrier is putting these documents forward to you as they generally do not have the state filings necessary. While there is nothing wrong with purchasing your insurance from the E&S marketplace, and you may not have a choice here, it is critical that your insurance agent/broker is well versed in this area and makes sure the forms/endorsements/exclusions are acceptable to you. Good luck.
    Ben/Insurance