1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance claims?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DanG, May 2, 2003.

1. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Got a call tonight from a lady who says that she noticed a few very tiny scratchs on her rear bumper of her old car(mid 90's) that they don't drive during the winter when she went to wash it the other day.

She says i or my employee must have caused it when I was doing the walkway behind her car with my showblower or with a shovel.

Heres the problem , We didn't go within 6" or it or any parked cars with either of those just for this type of reason.

When I was talking to her she mentioned that she was planning on having some body work done on it anyway this year, to top it off, some of the tenants shoveled their own walks because for any storm under 3" they had to call me to have me perform services(numerous times they didn't call).

I think she's trying to reduce the amount she has to spend to get it touched up.

Dan

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Dan, I gree with you, id put somethign in your contracts for next season,similar to what I have. All damages must be reported within 2 business days of service beign performed.

3. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I stopped and looked at the car today and it's not scratched.

It has a very tiny smudge on the bumper cover.
    I can't tell how long it's been there
    Looks almost like dirt that was wiped on it, for all i know it could've happened at the car wash by one of the brushes if she went through an automatic one.

Dan

4. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I know what you mean, after the snow melted it seemed like open season for customers to try and get some money back. There were a few legitimate things like a 700$ hunk of plastic we cut in half with a loader bucket at a school playground. That I dont mind, our mistake I'll gladly fix it. Then I ended up fixing a fence that someone hit with a car, some asphalt curbing that was about 50 years old stupid stuff.

That claim sounds rediculous Dan, I hope you dont end up having to pay anything for that.
    Casey

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Dan, hope you don't have to pay a dime for that stupid claim. It sounds like you should drop her account. I don't think it is worth keeping her. You never know what could happen next winter.

6. DanG

DanG Senior Member

The car i supposedly damaged belonged to one of the owners of a condo at the condo assocation i was plowing.

Car didn't move all winter and was buried under 3-4' of snow and yet some how i am the one who somehow damaged it.

I called the woman and told her that the damage i saw could've been caused by any number of things and based on that i was not going to except the responsiblity for it.

For all i know it could've been damaged when someone hit their garbage can against it when it was garbage day(thats how small the mark was).

I finally got the last payment from them for the storm in april, but they charged me for a couple of little things which i didn't have a chance to see if ithey were caused by me before they had them repaired. That cost me $400.

Considering they paid me almost $20,000 for plowing and removal this winter i suppose i can live with it.

Dan