1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

insurance carriers

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by WHITE=GREEN, Dec 10, 2001.

1. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

just wondering which insurance companies you guys are using for snow plowing and if you would recommend them? im looking for a new company to deal with and need some input.

2. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I use an independent agent, who has tried very hard to do the research for me and find the right policies at the best prices.

Currently all my business insurance including comm auto, work comp and gen liability is through Auto owners.

No claims with them yet so I cannot say I approve or disprove of them.

3. WHITE=GREEN

is pineisland1 the only one on here that has insurance? thats scary!!!

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No, pineisland1 isn't the only one insured. It's just that I don't think my insurance covers your area. But your welcome to have your agent call Middlesex Mutual Assurance of Middletown, CT.

5. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

mine is auto owners also but only liability for business

my commercial auto is progressive and it seems to be the cheapest commercial policy i have found

i am always up for suggestions though

6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I didn't reply 'cause I'm from Canada so I'm SURE my insurance won't cover your area!

This will be my first season "for hire" so it's also my first "insured" one. Went through the broker I have dealt with for years, they had to do some searching to find a carrier that would insure for snow work. Like Obryanmaint, I've ended up with commerial auto with one carrier and commercial liability with another.

7. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

where u at in pa white=green? i have my comm auto through allstate and liability through zurich...allstate wouldn't write me a liability b/c of plowing...

8. WHITE=GREEN

flakes,
    i have auto thru state farm. have same prob they wont do a plowing/liability policy. im from southcentral pa south of harrisburg.

9. SCL

SCL Senior Member

My comm.auto is through State Farm and they cover any snow plow mishaps. Got to try it last year and they were great. Commercial biz liability through Pekin. Never had to try that one.

10. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Member

Commercial Vehicle INS.

Hey guys. I just added plowing to my general liabilty. Pretty cheap, didn't cost anything additional. And my only limitations are no strip malls or public road. That fine by me. Anyhow I don't have commercial vehicle insurance yet an a little concerned about the cost. Think you guys could through some figures out there for what your paying. This would be for just one truck. Thanks Joe

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I think mine was about $300/yr over the regular for a 1/2ton - liability only. If you're doing commercial plowing, you really want that snow plowing rider.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2001
  12. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

my comm auto runs abour $870/yr and $400 liability/yr. all residential plowing but policy covers up to 10% comm, if i get more then that my rate may go up slightly they tell me...

13. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Been shopping around lately, best price I could find so far for one Truck (1/2 ton) was:

$1,500 for Comm. Auto ( $1,000,000 Liability)

$ 700 for CGL ($1,000,000 Liability) for 6 months (snowplowing) only

Why is it people complain about snow removal pricing being so high?

14. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Are those for one truck?

Im in a similar sized urban area (Hartford) and pay considerably less for same coverage. Try Farm Family Insurance (860-875-3333) only caveat is you must remain a Farm Bureau member while the policy is in force.

There may be an office closer to you, but Ross Luginbuhl in the Ellington office has been great as far as tailoring an insurance package for myself.

15. SCL

SCL Senior Member

State Farm full truck coverage $250 deductible runs about $750 a year. Biz liability $1 mil coverage around $400 a year.

16. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i think for some reason the cgl rate is based on how much business you do not on how many trucks you have

17. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Yes Lawnguy Thats for one truck!

Thanks for the heads up , I will call Ross and will check out his rates.

18. G.Williams

G.Williams Member

We obtained a rider on our general liability coverage to cover for snow and ice management. Some nominal fee for the coverage you get.