1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance and liabilities?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone ever run into problems where a company that has your insurance copy, forwarded them slip and falls from a location you dont' service?

USM did this to us in the past, even if they do correct it or you talk to the insurance so they deny the liability of it, it still shows up on your loss runs report just like you were in a car accident but didnt have to pay out any damages...

If you terminate a contract mid season with an end client or management company, by way of fax, email or certified mailing, does that constitute enough proof of termination of contract "and" your insurance for that property?

Say if you terminated a contract today, and tomorrow afternoon it snowed and there was a slip and fall because the company didnt hire another company to come out and salt or plow, your liability stops the minute the contract is terminated?

A company we bid on their property, suddenly now says the company performing work all year has been fired.. not sure why, we hardly have had anything, maybe they just don't show up to salt? Their contract still is default, worded to assume a Nov 15th 2012 to April 15th 2013 seasonal date though. They said they can't change it, and i won't sign and then find out that because we signed it, we were liable for something next year that happened prior to us taking over the account... because on paper you are. Im guessing the other company didnt have insurance or adequate insurance ...

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's called an "ICE" report from your insurance company. As you said ,even if a claim was not paid out. it still goes on your history .Problem to is ,even if you quite,not renew and someone falls ,they will go back to that date and see who the contractor was at that time.

3. In&Out

In&Out Junior Member

Everything shows up in your loss runs, but should not hurt your insurance price. We have been plowing for a property management company in the Chicago suburbs for years and they want us to salt all the time to keep these things from happening.

4. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

If a claim was reported incorrectly to your insurance carrier, simply ask your agent to contact the claims department and ask for a letter (and tell them to cc their underwriter) that the claim was reported incorrectly and that they have closed it out. Hold onto the letter and have your agent hold onto it also. It happens from time to time. The biggest issue is making sure the claim is 'closed". If it's left "open", it's a problem in the making for you.
    Ben

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I like your posts you run into or create some "freaky" customers.

I would never sign anything that pro-rates my responsibility back to a date that I don't have control of the site for. Tell them to change the contract dates to reflect your actual start date. Did they offer to pay you for the months before you started?...doubt it. If they do... Don't take it. Something fishy.